#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Runs and kicks like a gaelic footballer/soccer player… always looking sideways for a kicking option, always looking for a short one-two. He’ll have a cracker highlights reel at the end of the year… and it’ll be unlike anyone else’s.

4 Likes

The mad man doesn’t stop running

1 Like

his kicking action throws the opposition zone out of whack too i reckon. looks like he’s shaping to go straight but ends up hitting a player at 45degrees.

1 Like

I love watching him play. Has a natural feel for the ball on his boot. Sometimes in the early warm-up he spends five minutes juggling the footy soccer-style and then volleying it at goal, very entertaining.
He usually is good for one horrendous clanger a game (a bad kick or getting run down by bouncing in a tackle) but I’m fine with that.

4 Likes

It’s funny how they say Irish players have the ‘textbook’ kicking action and then you see Conor doin’ his thang

1 Like

Like most Gaelic footballers McKenna has a field kicking arc of 180 degrees because he’s so confident putting it across his boot in general play… Mckenna should run kicking clinics with the guys

He’d need a translator first

2 Likes

you joehst poeht it like dis acrahss ya boo… ah stoehff it, let’s go 'ave a jar

7 Likes

I think my favourite part of that video is where he…I’m gonna say almost anticipates the handball to his ankles from Hepp.

2 Likes

I thought he spoke well in the interview with BT.

I could understand every third word.

Coming along nicely.

5 Likes

thank you - that’s an impressive compilation

shame the play from 1:22 with McKenna to Shiel to Parish didn’t finish with a goal by Zac Clarke or him handballing off - would have been a ripper play.

1 Like

Actually, getting worried about myself, understood his interview with Roamin’ Brian.

Same, l gave him a vote in the Nobby, although it could have gone to any one of about 5 other players, his precision passing just stood out.

1 Like

One thing I’ve been noticing with Conor this season is that he has learnt how to use his body in general play to push opponent off the ball, as evidenced when he knocked Brayshaw over the boundary and some other unlucky hell spawn on the half back line.

He has always been quite good at using his strength in marking situations but this latest development suggests that he may be able to transition into the midfielder sooner than I had expected him to.

1 Like

Absolute gun.

1 Like

He is Irish after all.

1 Like

That was our old hellspawn, Melksham.

2 Likes

Just about his best game for us!

Is starting to be the all round package for us!

6 Likes

Just love this man, favourite player, plays with heart and keeps getting better

3 Likes

He never gives up. I think it was the last he hung a kick up a bit too high, which got spoiled. You could see how filthy he was and he instantly went across to affect the next contest, won the ball and ground level and got the attack going again. It’s not about making a mistake, it’s how you follow up. Could’ve easily taken the next play off and gone back to defence but he buttered up well. He’s a big unit now. Most of the Irish boys don’t look like elite athletes, generally very slight and sinewy, but he’s a proper, strongly built AFL footballer.

17 Likes