#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Thought he was clearly in our best five today and had him 3rd best for us. Had the ball on a string in the 2nd and 3rd quarter and setup our last goal with a really smart play on the flank. Coming along brilliantly- I believe he was @ivan ‘s man first?

2 Likes

@barnz and @thedjr riding at the front of the train with me

6 Likes

ahem…

6 Likes

Sorry, and @BakerWasAStar

3 Likes

Colm Begley only played 30 games

Irish would already be ahead of him on games played

Setanta o’Hailpin played 88

I’d argue McKenna has the tools to be a better half back than Keneally was. But he needs to string a few more good seasons together and get a AA nom to convert the masses.

2 Likes

Whoops. I meant Pearce Hanley who is on 149 games.

1 Like

Yep Hanley was a good player when he was at the Lions.

setanta o’haiplin is number one IMO. anyone who kicks a FC spud in the nuts is a winner in my eyes. extra points if you’re a teammate.

19 Likes

Santa can help em all he wants. They will still be ■■■■■. #farkcarlton

can’t play football they said.

That run through the middle in the 3rd quarter was sensational, poor bloke was spent by the end and could barely kick it 30m.

His first goal was a ripper.

2 Likes

Same here, l couldn’t leave him out of the votes. Willed himself to drive the ball in on that last player and left some spud in his wake as he took off. Glorious to watch.

4 Likes

Watching the highlights only confirmed what I saw at the ground. This guy was in EVERYTHING.

I had him in the votes behind Tippa and Merrett.

Will finish top 10 maybe top 5 in the BNF.

1 Like

Is Conor is good.

3 Likes

Does ok. LOVED the handball to Gleeson who then sets up Langford.

1 Like

There are two aspects of his game that are elite, his disposal by either foot, and his speed. Watching yesterday on one of his runs, he blew past a couple of North players, one gave chase and started to close the gap. Conor had a quick look, saw him closing and just accelerated away. I have absolutely no doubt that over just about any distance up to 100 metres he would be the quickest at the club and one of the top five in the competition.
The other things that he is really starting to develop are his overhead ability and his use of the body. Have noticed over the last few games that he has really developed that body on body physicality that most of the Gaelic converts struggle to adapt to.
Love the idea of giving him some midfield time.

4 Likes

ALL our elite runners need to practise slowing a fraction before disposing. And all our forwards need to lead to the runners so their kicks only have to travel 30m
Last 2 weeks McGrath, Saad, Shiel and Irish all ran like thieves but at the crucial point of disposing the ball turned the ball over or missed easy shots.
Step 1 Get away from opponent
Step 2 DELIVER

2 Likes

That handball was incredible.

5 Likes

@CharlieDons, @ivan would really appreciate a mckenna compilation.

3 Likes

Here is said handball - creating Langford goal

2 Likes