#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Goddard has the license too. Or does it regardless

I counted 14 steps on that Steward one

1 Like

The rule is 15m, not steps. How long do you think his steps are?

1 Like

I understand that but I thought it was pretty normal for the umps to count steps

NO ump is counting steps. To do that you would have to know in advance that someone’s going for a long run (not really possible) OR start counting steps every time every player takes possession. Hmmmm don’t think so.

On the bounce after 2-3 steps, I reckon Conor either hasn’t really thought about it or maybe just likes that ball out of his hands while he pumps a couple of his accelerating steps. It’s actually harder to run carrying the pill…

That free for holding previously should never have been paid. The free when bouncing was brought into the game to stop the Bartlett throw the ball away and get a holding the man decision action. Five tackles identical to the one that Conor got pinged for could’ve been laid in a row on a guy holding the ball without bouncing and he wouldn’t have been penalised for holding it! Why? Because no impeding of the player whatsoever. A brush of the hand is simply not a tackle. Umpire had no understanding of the game when that one was paid.

1 Like

Clangers are just more obvious in the backline.

Such a great story unfolding for Conor as well as the club. Just a delight to watch his development. As someone mentioned, he’s basically a retrospective top 10 draft pick. Kudos to the club to identify and pursue this young bloke during a time of complete turmoil for the club.

PS- that goal is absolute class!

6 Likes

In Gaelic you have to bounce the ball or hop it (kick it to yourself) after every four steps. You have to alternate between the two - you can’t bounce it or hop it twice in a row.

So that’s where Conor is coming from.

He’s following in the footsteps of Tadhg Kennelly, so he is — only Conor’s the upgrade on Tadhg.

6 Likes

“Bartlett” ?? You mean Johnny Birt…

1 Like

Spot on, also obviously depends on the situation. ie whats in front of you or how close the guy behind is.

Below is From history of rule changes which I found on the net. Only reason I recall and was pretty sure it wasn’t for Birt, it is that I remember the change and was 4 y o when Birt retired!

Interesting history players in the 1939s would routinely just drop the ball when tackled to win a holding the ball free so the “no drop” rule came in in the 30s. But guys like baldock and Bartlett in the 60s (no doubt Birt) used the bounce til the below:

“Adjustments made to the rules in the late 1970s created the definitions currently enshrined in Law 15.2.2, removing the ability for players to bounce the ball or handpass to themselves as ways to avoid holding the ball free kicks or win holding the man free kicks. Richmond footballer Kevin Bartlett was particularly well known for using these tactics to avoid being penalised for holding the ball, and the rule changes are generally associated with his play.[36]”

From my recollection, Birt and Baldock used to bounce before being tackled, but Bartlett used to throw his arms out and exaggerate it, and since he was a combover little twerp who got up everyone’s nose, they were happy to outlaw the practice.

3 Likes
16 Likes

Give him 3 years. He’s convinced me.

10 years 11 million or bust.

2 Likes

Clicked on the link before realising where it went. For those that don’t want to visit:

3 Likes

In the last few games conor has become the designated player for kickouts. There are 2 effects. He mixes it up and is more creative than hurls, and has helped us to clear the ball out of d50, but he does turn it over once or twice a game with a 50/50 chance of a goal against us.
Its not a coincidence. There must be an instruction from the coaches for conor to take these kicks.

2 Likes

LIKE.

He’s really, really proved me wrong to the point now I’d be spewing if he was injured. He’s a lock best 22. I reckon he’ll win our most improved this year

12 Likes

Proved me wrong too. V wrong.
Re mist improved - strong case. Although one could argue it should go to Joe - if he kicks another 15+ goals this year plus his impact in the ruck … he’s been THAT good!