#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Hasn’t that recently been changed to four years?

(Do we believe the original story, anyway?)

In my experience, you can do two years without being sponsored on the working holiday visa, after that if you want to apply for residency, you must find a place of employment to sponsor you for two years. This would then be the four years you mention. Although I think if you find a suitable sponsor prior to your working holiday visa finishing, you can technically do it in less than four, but I’m not 100% on this.

Wouldn’t they be sponsored by the AFL though, not the individual clubs?

5 Likes

The AFL own the club licenses.

That’s probably true, but also probably makes no difference. I’ve changed employer over here in the states twice, and as long as the new employer is willing to sponsor you, it’s really a non-issue.
I assume that it works along pretty similar lines in Australia. And that any AFL club that was interested in recruiting either or them, would be prepared to sponsor them too.

1 Like

Yeah thats how it works. They cant swap employers on the same visa but they can get a new sponsorship.

Not according to the story on 7 news. I must admit I wasn’t really paying attention at 1st (on the the background) but then I thought of Conor & thought I needed to listen to it. They were saying that Cox’s visa was conditional on him playing for Collingwood & so changing clubs may cause problems.

Good bargaining power. Re-sign or we’ll have you deported.

3 Likes

That only works if he doesn’t want to go home.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. Nowhere near it.

Aren’t all contracts through the AFL? So I wouldn’t think it would be a problem.

1 Like

only when it suits the AFL

6 Likes

woah woah woah, last time someone threatened/ hurt conor he charged across the field to deck them.

According to the story his contract is with Collingwood & so his visa is conditional on him continuing with the same employer.

As has been said before by a few posters its a nothing story and should be in the failure of journalism thread.
Some journos looked at his visa and the conditions attached and thought “hey thats a story” but then decided to ignore the fact that he can easily get a new sponsorship if he was traded to a new club.

3 Likes

So we should get mason cox and deny sponsoring him to send him back to america for anzac day a couple years ago?

What?..Is he from America?

1 Like

I know, surprising no one has mentioned that before.

I thought he was Canadian.???

Swans will go hard at him to try and throw him off, needs to keep his composure

If he plays a blinder tomorrow it will go a long way towards us winning

1 Like

Yeah read this somewhere about how the swans will target him physically.

Of all people, he’s farking Irish, firstly it’ll make him play better, secondly one of them will end up unconscious.

4 Likes