#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

He can play Gaelic when he’s well into his mid 30s to early 40s they’re not pro. Can play afl for 10 MORe years and then go home to play with the round ball

Its more his body breaking down because of the afl rigours.

After he signs, he needs that number upgrade too.

Interesting tidbit from a Mason Cox resigning was that Cox was under a 457 visa and if he moved clubs would need to reapply for a new working visa and lose his entitlements to a future PR visa

McKenna might be in the same boat?

1 Like

They are 4yr terms for 457 and then look to gain PR.

I’d think Conor still within that time frame

Pretty sure Hibberd’s dad was just as shocked as the rest of us.

1 Like

Just to add: geez I miss Pig, so does the side.

Strange as this may sound, his leaving was the same to me as Wanga’s leaving. That’s to me personally and no I am not comparing them as players.

I’m not sure why. Bellchambers and Hooker alluded to the fact that Hibberd had all but decided to leave and go to Melbourne when the Saga players were on holidays in Croatia. Bellchambers and Hooker mentioned trying to talk him out of it.

Maybe he didn’t tell his family due to their passion for the Bombers? I was going on what others said about the dad. No reason for him to lie in the papers, no reason for him to comment at all.

Love the kid and want him in the midfield

3 Likes

Do you think? I think his decision making and composure when under pressure was shown up. Cost us multiple goals.

I like him and hope he stays, but he should be paid what he is worth. If St Kilda are foolish enough to trade us Ross for him as some have suggested, I’d be signing in a heartbeat. Our most glaring midfield deficiency would be somewhat addressed.

1 Like

That was blitz talk. That is zero chance of happening!

3 Likes

:wink::+1::four_leaf_clover:

9 Likes

You have a bit more knowledge of the inside workings of the club

Would you know if there is potential for the transition of McKenna to the midfield to happen ?

I figure after Dodoro drafts a HBF with pick 11 there would be every chance for it to happen (sarcasm included)

How come? Was Hibberd one of your favourite players?

This has to be a good sign

1 Like

The main issue that the international players face is that when they change clubs, they need to apply for permanent residency again. So they basically go back to the bottom of the queue. Apparently it is about a 2 year wait and when Zach Tuohy changed to Geelong he had to reapply and start the process again.

Cox was pretty clear about the issues and how it was a factor in re-signing. Seems that it was definitely a factor for him, no doubt would be a similar consideration for Conor. I think it was in his interview on TAC Future stars after Sunday Footy Show?

1 Like

I’m absolutely certain his family had little knowledge of it until he returned. I got flamed after Carlisle left for saying on here for a while that he was staying because that’s what his family thought would happen. Things change and there’s nothing wrong with having a change of heart.

On Conor, I’d expect he re-signs reasonably soon but make no mistake, the rest of the competition have recognised the improvement and what he brings to the table.

8 Likes

He was fine - Got two bad handballs behind him in the second quarter that lead to scores which was not his fault, otherwise he was up to the speed of the game - What have StKilda,Ross or money got to do with my post.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see Irish tearing it up in stints in the mid field next year. Reckon he has a natural aptitude to play midfield. Just so powerful, agile and tough. Can kick too.