#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

what the ruck are you lot on about?

He doesn’t win many taps. But yeah, his follow up is great,

Why are we taking about this in the McKenna thread?

1 Like

That’s a fair question.

1 Like

You should be busy looking for more Conor highlights on YouTube and posting them here :grinning:

Any news?

Yes. Tonight at the Xmas training I asked him about his ankle and missing the international rules series.

2 Likes

and what did he say?

7 Likes

He said some things

2 Likes

Revealing.

1 Like

Sell McKenna, buy Gleeson.

Was just watching this guys highlights for 2017. Conclusion McKenna and Saad will be devastating off the half back line.

This guys emergence has been incredible, and will only get better and better.

3 Likes

Am I the only one that doesn’t see it?

Statistically unlikely.

I dont think I have ever seen anybody change direction as fast and powerfully as Irish. He’s a beast.

6 Likes

The bit in the “AFLx explained” video was better: turns TIPPA inside out, sprints through the centre square, sees two guys in front of him and says “■■■■ em” and runs straight into the gap — they have to commit to tackling, all go to ground but not before Conor gives the handball out for the least pressured shot on goal ever.

11 Likes

^^^Love it. And this inspired a Michael Long reminiscence, which I will share, just coz.

A similar situation to the above, Long’s first season at EFC, light framed and skinny then. Ball comes into HFF, Long gathers but two big Carlton players are about to crash him between them. People were genuinely afraid for him, he was so light.

Longy gives a little shimmy, they commit, he dodges, they crash into each other and go to ground. It was JUST like you see in the cartoons!

Longy calmly delivers the ball in for a goal. A special moment from a special player.

17 Likes

I was there that day! Just about my favourite Longy moment. :grin:

2 Likes

One on my favourites ('cos I was there) was a Crow player at Windy Hill lining him up form 20-25 metres away. The crowd saw it.
Long apparently did, but didn’t show it.
Crowd cringes at the moment of impact.
Long drops his shoulder without breaking stride and leaves the Crows player in a heap on the ground.

2 Likes

I’m really excited about Oirish this year - possibly more than anyone else on the team, including the new guys. I will not be surprised to see him in elite category by the end of the season.

8 Likes