#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

AFL Rules |15.2.2|Remaining in Possession and Bouncing the Football|

|(a)|A Player may remain in possession of the football for any length of time:|
|(i)|unless the Player is Correctly Tackled by an opponent;|
|(ii)|provided the Player complies with Law 15.2.2(b).|
|(b)|Where a Player is moving whilst in possession of the football, the Player must bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.|

Kicking the ball is correct disposal, so, kicking the ball to yourself resets the 15 metres.

Just wait for the rule to be changed.

1 Like

Are you sure? It doesn’t read that way to me.

Hi Deckham, this is the link to the rules. _ assume they are indeed correct and up to date ( it is the internet, after all)

http://www.aflrules.com.au/afl-game-rules/part-d-pre-match-provisions/afl-rules-free-kicks/

I don’t think they have anticipated the situation where a player kicks the ball to himself duirng a run and carry. Remember they paid a mark to am Essendon player who kicked the ball, ran >15m and marked the ball. Thats not possible, unless he was deemed to have correctly disposed of the ball.

I understand it to say "if you are moving with the ball, you need to bounce it before every 15m. If you pass it to yourself, you are still deemed ‘to be in possession’ and therefore still need to bounce it.
I reckon the marked self-ball was a mistake.
Think about it - otherwise you’d be able to run down the ground hand-balling up in the air and catching it all the way to goal, wouldn’t you?

It explicitly says handballing to yourself doesn’t count in 15.2.2b, with no such exception carved out for kicking.

Personally I don’t think kicking it to yourself at full tilt would be much easier than just bouncing the ball, so I’m not sure there would be any concern beyond the aesthetic.

1 Like

Remember the time Conor got tackled bouncing the ball? Looks like he’s found a way around that problem; can’t be tackled once he’s kicked the ball.

Brilliant…if that is what he has worked out and it works!

And managed to re-gather and dispose correctly. I still reckon that should have been play on. Are we talking about the one in the VFL?

That’s how I read it too. As Chris points out though there is nothing specifically mentioned about kicking but I would imagine it would likely be the same interpretation.

Loved his kick to himself! Clearly he just got confused and thought he was playing Gaelic again where solos (kick to yourself) are required.

1 Like

It might have been VFL, I can’t remember but yeah the tackle was ineffective and Conor kept going, might have even kicked a goal. We were robbed!

Speak of the devil - A kick of more than 15 metres to yourself is not considered a mark.

1 Like

Thats almost like Callum Twomey is reading our posts.

7 Likes

What nonsense players are allowed to kick to them selfs it’s called play on when it happens.

This was in the Brisbane game. He bounced the ball just before a Brisbane player unsuccessfully tackled him. In fact the Brisbane player just managed to touch Conor, and got a free kick.

It was a disaster, because our goal that resulted was disallowed and Brisbane subsequently scored a goal., and changed the momentum of the game.

6 Likes

Think it was against Brissy and yep kicked the goal. Yep :point_up_2:

That ruling is outside the reason for introduction of the rule. That rule was to stop that smartarse Kevin Bartlett from playing for frees. I believe that if Conor had been caught in a properly applied tackle, Brisbane should have got a free. But fcs the player just brushed his hand on Conors back, since when has that been a legal tackle. It is never awarded in normal play. Are we playing touch footy now?

4 Likes

Yep. Took all of 5 mins.

Just have to look at the reverse situation. Had Connor not had the ball, would he have got a free for holding the man? Me thinks not.

2 Likes

So does that mean if you kick it, run twenty metres and catch it yourself, you’ve run too far?

6 Likes