#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I’m waiting for lav to come back. western suburbs.

Peeto’s guys usually get delisted, whereas Barnz’s guys usually get traded.

My guys usually end up drinking beer at local footy grounds

1 Like

still got careers.

1 Like

My guys usually have long, underwhelming careers where they never reach their full potential.

So, your. Essendon supporter huh?

5 Likes

Thanks for the analysis Ivan. I think it was Conor’s worst game of football for us and I was certainly very frustrated with him, notably the turnovers resulting in goals. I’d still back him in for a month in the team and see if he can get a better feel for the pace of the game which to me is his biggest issue.

Great 4 quarter analysis, really appreciate it.

What it shows is how much McKenna improved over the course of the game.

His Q4 was excellent and he was our best player in Q4. Most pleasing was he played a complete all-round game in Q4 in the midfield - he pushed deep in defence to assistance, won contested ball and linked well through the middle and also pushed hard deep forward to create goals.

We’ve been crying out for a mid-fielder who can do this. We actually now have one; but he has elements of his game (as do all players) he has to work on but the basic package is very, very solid & promising.

5 Likes

I don’t think he has it nor that he’s there yet but I have been wrong in the past. He’s quiet young and the way the season could go it doesn’t hurt to blood him now give his 3-5 games in a row to see what he is made. If he improves then it’s a good sign if he doesn’t then he gets droppped like Langford.

He was trying on the weekend and that you can’t hold against him.

Appreciate you putting time into the analysis.

Seeing improvement later into the game is a good indication of his fitness level and also his mental application which are two things that should be held in high regard. His Adelaide game was a very similar trend.

What it also indicates is, that when the sting went out of the game and it opened up a little McKenna was able to find a little more time and space to make good decisions. He has performed very well at VFL for this very reason, its just a slower brand of football.

Maybe a move up to the wing may be more suitable for him at least until he feels more comfortable at the level and then he can move back again.

The wing position may pose other problems though because you probably have a good understanding of when and where to run.

All in all I think he’s on the right track and needs to be persisted with.

4 Likes

It’s worth noting that his 3 worst skill errors weren’t under immediate pressure. 2 were just kicking howlers, one from a mark the other when he had time. The other error was a handpass where he probably felt pressure and didn’t know what to do with it because he didn’t have a good option (dump it long son).

He’s still a kid who hasn’t had any continuity in the seniors. It is kinda of understandable that he might be a bit chittery. I’d be surprised if he didn’t iron out most of the kicking errors over a stint of a month or so.

What was also clear watching the replay was that, zerret, bj, and zaka all made at least as many kicking howlers.

Oddly too he and bj look very similar when watching on the tablet. They have a near identical complexion and a similar slightly stooped, heavy legged jog. If only bj had Conor’s explosiveness.

7 Likes

Thanks for the analysis Ivan. I thought that on balance his involvements weren’t as negative as I’d been led to think from this thread (haven’t seen the game as spent 5 hours at a kids little aths presentation arvo on Sunday and haven’t been inclined to watch the replay). Errors for sure, but positive involvement at other times. It felt that his overall involvement was about what i’d expect from a young defender in the middle of an Essington performance.

Give him time.

1 Like

wonder how many slamming him turned off at 3qtr time.

2 Likes

He brings so many positives to the team he should be a permanent fixture

3 Likes

I’m one of them.
I’m refusing to watch the replay so will have to take others word that he had a good last quarter.
Unfortunately when the game was up for grabs early he was quite ordinary. I still maintain he is being played out of position

Agreed re: position

Yes this is true and if they are not already doing it Walla and Raz should alternate when we are running a forward off the back of the square. That way we get to see Walla run off half back again. Of the forwards, probably Raz and Walla are the best defenders, if we lose the clearance.

Conor is winning his own ball, ( 5th in the club for average contested possessions in 2017 ) never shirks the contest in any way, has a good contested/uncontested possession ratio. ( around 50/50) and is not beaten in one on one contests very often.

There is no doubt he needs to settle down a bit, and probably that will take a few more games. Once he does, I think there will be a big improvement. If not, back to the VFL until he learns to play with some poise.

6 Likes

This guy just looks further and further away from being even a semi-passable player at any level.

1 Like

Has about 20 mates on the Essendon list