#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I don’t get why the club refuses to pump games into youth that will have an instant impact and make no mistakes. Why do we keep on trying to develop talent?

8 Likes

You can find a gem in the rough looking at outside talent, but i think having them im defense is also a liability if they have never played the game. He awareness is just not there. If he was to play he should be playing as a tagger or as a defensive half forward. Learn the game that way as sheeds would have done. He is not really improving over where he was last year in terms of understanding the game.

Getting a basketballer or volleyball player as a ruckman is probably as easier transition to our game.

We should blood the kids rather than him, as the chance of them becoming afl footballers in two to three years is more realistic.

He reminds me a lot of Karmichael Hunt with his spatial awareness. Kicking is alright as is tackling, he just unfortunately doesn’t know what is around him.

2 Likes

Yes, heaven forbid. Let’s keep putting games into Zaharakis & Stanton - who have never been contested ball winners - for minimal return - than a young player who is combative and proven already to win more than his share of contested ball.

I didn’t think it was his best game by any means yesterday but he was still better than probably half a dozen most of whom are way more experienced.

5 Likes

I agree with others, keep playing him. He will either crash or burn. He definitely has talent. I don’t mind the idea of him taking a run with role either. He has the strength and pace and it’ll be a nice learning curve for him. If not, let him back himself and win the contested footy and burst through the lines. We having nothing to lose.

2 Likes

His marking in contests has improved. Like his endeavor, keep him in

Put him on Danger
That would be a learning experience [quote=“benny, post:1570, topic:1997, full:true”]
I agree with others, keep playing him. He will either crash or burn. He definitely has talent. I don’t mind the idea of him taking a run with role either. He has the strength and pace and it’ll be a nice learning curve for him. If not, let him back himself and win the contested footy and burst through the lines. We having nothing to lose.
[/quote]

1 Like

I’d Get him to tag Selwood. His pace would hurt him the other way and he would learn a truckload playing on him.

Problem is he may go Irish on him and fire up Selwood for a massive one!

When we can’t get kids who have played the game their whole lives to develop properly its probably a bridge too far to expect we can develop a new comer. I can see athletically what he offers but I don’t think we have the right environment atm to turn him into a weapon.

We did a good job with Daniher, Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Ambrose, Fantasia, Tippa, Carlisle and Crameri.

1 Like

Really odd comment.

3 Likes

There is a bloke in the NBA called Joel Embiid, he only first touched a basketball 6 years ago and two of those years he spent injured. So 4 years of actual playing games. 2 high school, 1 collage, 1 NBA. He narrowly missed out on being an all start this year and he put in a season that was statistically the same was Wilt Chamberlain. Who is probably the GOAT center.

What I’m saying is it doesn’t matter how much you have played. Talent is talent

3 Likes

Practice makes perfect sign him up for another ten years.

I think we’ve seen very clear examples in Folau & Hunt that talent alone is not enough especially in footy where a wider skillset is required. Of course hand eye coordination is important for all sports & natural strength, speed, endurance etc are assets to any athlete but footy I believe requires a lot more of its athletes than possibly any other sport.

1 Like

Conor McKenna:

“To be sure to be unsure”

Yeah, but aside from those, who the heck have we got that we’ve developed???

5 Likes

Surely you know it’s basically all digital these days, so being good at developing isn’t very important anymore. It’s all about photoshop now.

1 Like

Photoshop is to photographer, as is drum machine to drummer :slight_smile:

1 Like

THE PROCESS

1 Like

@Warlock_Paul to be the new development coach then. He’s got mad photoshop skillz.