#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Baguley’s spot??? I don’t see it myself. Half-back flank yes, but haven’t seen the back pocket thing.

3 Likes

Bags’s knee is toast and he is 28. He has lost what pace he had completely. We don’t have a ready made replacement. Conor has a good mix of athleticism and mongrel and is as good a candidate as any at this stage.

1 Like

Yep, agree on Bags. A replacement is required. Just don’t see any evidence that they are training Conor for that very specific role.

He’s played a lot tighter the last two weeks on instruction it would seem but they haven’t been Game to make him number one banana yet (unlike McGrath the big stud) .

I reckon we’ll see it soon enough. He’ll earn his ‘torched by a small fwd badge’ soon enough and this place will go crazy.

This sounds crazy but I wouldn’t mind him taking Martin when forward in a few weeks. Has wheels the dogedness and the elbows to go with him. Bags only has two of those things these days.

2 Likes

Conor is 21 and because of his background you can’t possibly classify him as a normal 3rd year player drafted in out of the TAC.

I think he has the potential to be a gun. He is still raw but I have no interest in seeing our club develop Conor as a ‘safe’ player who can hold a position or stop a man. How boring. I can think of half a dozen past players that we could get back to do that crap.

I want to see him his his pace, strength, and natural competitive instinct to attack the game in every way.

A few stats of interest over his 4 games this year FYI:

2016 - 2017
disposals: 13.9 - 15
Tackles: 1.75 - 2.25
Contested Possessions: 3.8 - 6.25
Clangers: 2.1 - 4.25
Rebound 50s: 1.8 - 2.25
Inside 50s: 2.1 - 2.25

many others are similar from year to year.

McNeice is ready made and knows the game of AFL. Also is quick & uses ball very well.

I don’t want McKenna anywhere near opposition small fwds on last line of defence.

If he replacing anyone in defence it’s Kelly at a HBF, or my preference was for McKenna to play on a wing

How many defensive howlers has he made,?he’s actually pretty useful in a contest and had the pace to run with most any small forwards in the comp.

His howlers have come when he has had the ball, often when he’d done a pretty good job in the first place to win it.

I can think of one moment against the cats where he went to bump and should maybe have played the ball instead and they scored.

His positioning and body work have improved a lot in the space of 4 games

2 Likes

Unfortunate that his errors are the ones most inclined to be emblazoned into the emotional memory bank of supporters due to those turnovers that lead directly to goals (‘the Stanton effect’).

What is more difficult to balance in assessing his progress and potential is that he has some very good attributes to not just be a handy player - but an extremely damaging one. He is still embryonic in his football development and feel for the game - my view is to just pump games into him and deal with any collateral damage in the wake of this development. It’s not like we are in contention this year (or next) so I would subjectively prioritise games into a player like McKenna who I think can be a weapon in finals football with his powerful running game, his contested work and physicality (his sharp elbows too). His overhead work is already trending upward - I still think we have a player.

Keep sending him up.

1 Like

That is just not true ; I am just as good a footballer as I was 40 years ago.

10 Likes

I’m seeing improvement. If he flatlines, then by all means drop him. But if he’s getting better each week then it is exactly why he should be playing.

2 Likes

You win.
I don’t have time to rebut. But I will.

The kid is brave, built, strong, very fast, good endurance, will take the game on, will contest strongly man on man. Its clear Harvs wants him in the team instead of Marty and thats good enough for me.

Right now his decisions and execution under pressure need work which can only come through more game time, whereby he should develop some composure. I hope so. Its so hard to predict. He could be a star, or could just as easily be a bust, but we will never know if he stays down in the VFL for years.

3 Likes

Exactly
He’s a bit ragged around the edges in most things he does. So far. Definitely improved on his defensive positioning.
I’d like to see him settle over his kick a bit more, currently we’ve not seen anything like what he’s capable of by foot @ AFL level.

That’s not what I have heard up here.

2 Likes

Sigh. You’re actually making a comparison of any sorts between mckenna snd hurls or zerrett. Jesus.
The guy is not ready for afl. period. If he lined up against us we would laugh.
You single out a passage of play, that was one good thing in an entite game.
I watched him look lost and have no idea where his opponent was. I saw him go to bump when he should tackle, turn his back on the play that was 10m away from him, fumble the most basic handball receives.
When he hits i havent seen a player get up sore or hurt. So not sure where all this aggression and strength talk comes from.

If people seriously think this guy is an asset to our side im amazed.

He doesnt have the natural ability nor has he won games in the vfl that warrant him being able to grow at afl level, rather than vfl.
Needs to learn in the vfl.
Might get there, im tipping not.

2 Likes

word for word described zaka for all but 1 game this season.

1 Like

2 years ago in his first AFL game ever with his first possession he ran too far then gave away a 50. Come along long way in 2 years.

2 Likes

I have been a big knock on McKenna’s inclusion in the side for most of the year. He was good last week and the coaches are probably doing the right thing by letting him develop at senior level.
I still don’t know if he’ll make it or not but I like the faith they’ve shown in him.

Are they people calling for him out thinking we could make finals this year? let alone win one?

Because we sure as ■■■■ ain’t gonna do that if we get rid of him for what? stanton? fmd.

6 Likes

I dont see too many logical calls for Stanton so i agree with you there @barnz.
You mention zaka, and this is exactly my point. After a few spud ganes turns in a 31 possie great game. Because we know he can. Same logic could have been said of Jobe or Hurley etc…

I dont believe mckenna has a 31 possie game where he has a direct influence on our result in him. Hence my call for him to learn in the vfl. This is my problem of his selection. Yes he has come a long way and credit to him. Do i think there are others in the list that could add more value at afl level. Yes.

And yes i do believe we will finish 7 or 8 this year.