#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

If you are referring to the game that a bloke named Pitura kicked 14 goals on me. I still do play as well as that.

We have a slight problem. We’re currently running five small/medium guys through the backline - McGrath, Bags, Kelly, Dea and McKenna. Three of those guys for differing reasons may not be in the backline as soon as 2018. With a full complement of talls we still need 3-4 small/medium backs. Gleeson has doubts, Morgan is injury prone and Ridley is unproven (and possibly growing into KP height).

When you look at it like that, I’m not surprised that he’s getting games. Or that Jerrett, Stanton and Redman playing back in the VFL.

I agree, he looked a lot worse at the ground than on the replay.

1 Like

Agree completely with the medium-term backs issue.
Hence Mckenna, and before him, Gleeson, getting extended runs in those positions.
Woosha and Harvs need to not only build coherence by blokes playing together, (especially in the back line - all the recent premiers have had a settled back 5, if not six) but also figure out who will feature in a genuinely damaging & attacking backline.
McKenna has the potential to do this.
So actually has Redman - going on yesterdays’ Ressies game he may be the next bloke given a run there.

We have to accept the short term pain and hope that at least one if not two players can develop significantly.

Conor is doing what the coaches ask of him, and they think he is developing nicely. Doesn’t matter how much hair is pulled out, or rants launched here, he is the first cab off the rank for the attacking half back gig. I should think Gleeson is still solidly in the frame as well.

11 Likes

As regards small-medium defenders, its early days, but during his second game in the VFL down back, Redman played a cracker of a game, so much so, he was mentioned in the bests on a day when forwards were starring. One to watch.

Its no surprise to me that Conor is being picked in the best 22. All emerging players need a block of games at next highest level to develop.

1 Like

Doubters convinced?

6 Likes

Not even close

No I won’t. He’s been exceptional today. And on today’s performance, I recant my Stanton statement.

4 Likes

Ain’t going anywhere

Vastly improved today. Vastly.

7 Likes

Breakout game!

Was his best game by a long way today. Still reckon he looks better up on the wing and delivering to the forwards though

8 Likes

Conor would like all ya doubting eejits to shut the hell up.

6 Likes

Fe.ck yeah!

Couple of early miscues but brilliant after that!

Even fe.ck falls foul of this pathetic swear filter. Have we got Christian Scientists or something monitoring this site?

6 Likes

Ripping game. One error from his first touch, near perfect thereafter.

How good was the chase on darling.

8 Likes

Was easily his best game for the club but he benefited from our dominance across the ground by not being exposed defensively as he usually is.

Only scratched the surface!

Still has another 20% to come I feel!

1 Like

He is improving rapidly, if he keeps this up how good could he be?

2 Likes

Gonna pull a whoever tagged me and said skipworth and say ■■■■ you all

Not bad for a guy who’s only been playing Aussie rules for 2 years

2 Likes