#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

How many other players in the game could do that on their non-preferred?

you seen zach, dyson and myers try to kick on their right? makes you want to reevaluate aus kick.

5 Likes

I’ll give you that. There was just less ‘■■■■ off while a blow past you and blast this in from 50’ about it.

No way is McKenna moving to the midfield any time soon.

Maybe, but he does have goal sense. Started his AFL career as a goal square forward, in our VFL team and kicked 16-18 goals iirc. Then they started moving him up the field in his second year. Kicked a goal with his first kick in AFL footy, although that was a Joe the goose courtesy Smack.

If they drop the number of rotations off the bench, it will be necessary to run more players through the midfield, and he will almost certainly be one of them.

1 Like

I liked that too.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s any coinsidence that most of the Irish plays have had elite foot skills.

The repetition of developing a new skill, like kicking a football with correct technique speaks for itself.

Interesting how easy it’s relatively easy for someone to learn a new skills the correct way, compared to how hard it is for players who have poor technique to change it.

@Eastie_Boi1 used to bang on about this. you can’t do minor tweaks to a players goal kicking action you have to do wholesale changes.

2 Likes

Vote early and vote often:

https://goaloftheyear.afl/vote/round/22

5 Likes

Has this kid signed on for next year yet?

Looks like the Irish press actually know how to write, as well.

3 Likes

No mention of saga, they’re doing it wrong

1 Like

Couple of clubs sniffing around but wouldn’t think he leaves.

1 Like

Is Brisbane one of them?

I’m not concerned about him going to another AFL club. I’m concerned about him heading home.

3 Likes

I’d agree with you ordinarily. But lately he seems to be really enjoying the game, so maybe it’s clicked for the lad and he’s here for more years yet.

2 Likes

Not sure
Was told the Hawks and a interstate side

He has indeed have suitors who I believe may be offering bigger deals - need to lock him away quick smart.

Rate of improvement has been rapid.

5 Likes

It’s inevitable that someone is going to put a fat contract offer in front of him. Kid is an absolute jet and he is very important to the squad. He seems happy but we better not low ball him. He’s easily worth 400 on the open market right now I suspect and someone would probably be prepared to offer overs. This will be his first big pay day too. He’s worked his ■■■■ off and deserves it.

And to think there were plenty here who were ready to delist him two months into the season.

12 Likes

Cheers Ace,
I heard a small whisper it was Brisbane…if so and completely hypothetical, I repeat, hypothetical would a straight swap for Witherden be enough?

Now that we don’t have the vultures picking over the saga bones where we have to trade for unders, there are two options:
A) We keep him, pay him a fair rate and sit back and enjoy the goodness over the next few years as a reward for the work he has done and the vision that the club has had for him.
B) Someone seriously pays well overs and we get a higher order first round pick or Burton. Guy is a jet and we need to have a serious pay day if someone (Hawthorn - seriously would he want to go to Brisbane :no_mouth: ) is so desperate to take him off our hands after the work that has been done.

1 Like