#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

fixed

1 Like

I was definitely wrong with him, happy to admit it, thought he excellent after a good game last week. His awareness is something that has improved out of sight in just a few weeks, has a quick look and takes the game on but knows when to do it and when not to. Enjoyed seeing him beat Sam Gray one on one and then strip the ball from him.

2 Likes

To be fair though, he has improved.
His running to the next contest, providing the next option after being in the play, is just extraordinary at the moment.
That wasn’t there before.

2 Likes

I think whether by himself or instruction he was too scared of leaving space behind by doing those absolute thunderous runs forward. But now he seems to have license and it is devastating for the other team.

That is tough for all defenders at a new club, regardless of your background.
You want to do the defensive things right first.
You can get stuck in just trying to negate your opponent.
I’m glad he’s been encouraged to use his strengths, because they are such a weapon.

1 Like

Called it when he started, said last year he would be best 22 by years end in 17, backed him through this season. And the best part about it we have only just begun! There is no ceiling on this kid.

2 Likes

He ran past some of ports fastest players like they were nothing in the 1st.

And they’re supposed to be a FAST team.

Sorry…wrong muppet

His ball drop is weird, he gets real low.

Stares at the ball like its leaving him for life.

5 Likes

Thats it delist…

It is different but he guides it onto the boot very well, and kicks it late with his head over it resulting in low penetrating kicks that get to the target quickly. His ability to kick inboard at almost right angles on the run is like nothing I have ever seen, and he hits targets while doing it.

I always sore the upside in this kid but was very unsure if his ability to do the things that most AFL players naturally have because they have played all there lives. Reading the play, knowing when to defend vs attack. This part of his game has come on leaps and bounds in the past 3 weeks.

As good as his game was there is still so much scope for improvement. He could quiet easily become the best attacking HBF in the comp.

3 Likes

It’s like the ball is tied to his nose, as the ball drops he does this little weird nod/head duck thing.

Amazing how easy he makes short passes look and how hard Colyer does

7 Likes

Who and when was the last 1/2 back to play a game as good as that in red and black? I know Heppell and Goddard have done well there in the past, but what about a line breaking running type.

1 Like

Hibb had plenty of games at least as good and probably some better ones too

6 Likes

Yeah pig had a season or 2 where he was almost all australian.

He’d already shown a couple of things to make you sit up & take notice at this stage, … but this one, where he watches the pill & beats this guy all ends up, & then blasts off, looked like the moment the last of the self doubt tipped over into belief…

In the end,. it was just one of many Oirish assisted goals for the night.

10 Likes

Oirish after the match

My favourite part of that clip is Watson quickly summing up that he didn’t need to get involved, just watch. Second is how fast Zaka slips off the screen.

4 Likes