#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

My forebears the Caseys of Cork sure did, and I have been known to submit a chip report on the VFL match thread .

4 Likes

Its the difference between understanding first and second languages.

I can’t deny the evidence that you do.

Always good to read your posts!

4 Likes

I once watched a movie with sub-titles
it took me about 1/2 an hour to realise the cast were speaking English, but with a Scottish accent.

I love Conor - I hope he stays

6 Likes

> Breakout game
> Rubbed out for 6 weeks

FUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARKKKKKKKKKK SO pumped now.

Also need SAMMY DRAPES. Reckon he’d fire up too. Don’t ask me why.

Actually I’m all over the joint now this post just gave me a tingle in my groin

CULT HERO

Wow thanks conor, i’ve been top 2ing liked comments for the week. More good games thanks.

In the Champion Data 2017 prospectus, they commented that Conor was an under-rated defender; apparently in 2016 he did not lose (any) one on one contests.

Well he has taken this further. He is now winning one on one contests, which lead to goal assists.
The best example of this vs Port is where he taps the ball forward in a contest, on the HBF runs onto it, runs with it and delivers inside 50

Its pretty clear they were watching him very closely because they said he did not zone off, and remained a one on one defender… Well get this , champion data! Last year that was a luxury we could not afford.

I hope he can back it up over the next 12 weeks because he just adds a new dimension to our team.
Thanks for believing, Harves and Woosh.

2 Likes

Are you saying we couldn’t afford anyone running off their opponent or being responsible for their man?

Hi Barnz, Sorry if I was not clear. I am sitting by the pool in FNQ, and frankly had too much to drink.
No, what I mean is last year Conor had to learn how to defend at AFL level first. Now he has the luxury that we have a forward line that can score very often when he can deliver it to them.

I’m calling BS on that champion data stat. Surely there is just no way. Maybe Conor wasn’t close enough to his man to be considered beaten in a one on one… Even the very very best get beaten on occasion.

Foxsports rate him as our most improved player this year.

Any fluff is good fluff.

I would agree :wink:

2 Likes

Link

Can’t quote. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/who-is-the-most-improved-player-at-your-afl-club-midway-through-the-2017-season/news-story/cfea87c9907cff744a9ec0bd5429f777?nk=1c847691e6cbe5c581953fe5b60c4ed9-1497596102

1 Like

The relevant bit:

ESSENDON

PLENTY of attention has been on the returning ‘banned Bombers’ this season. But one man making people take note is Irish dasher Conor McKenna.

The 21-year-old played two games in 2015 and another 12 last year. But this season, he’s made a spot off half back his own.

McKenna has averaged 16.9 disposals, 298 metres gained, 4.8 intercept possessions, 3.9 score involvements and 2.8 rebound 50s per game. He should only keep getting better, too.

6 Likes

I honestly thought he was nothing more than a quick, ‘too good for VFL level but not good enough for AFL level’ trier that would struggle adapting. He’s not all the way there yet, but if he continues his trajectory he’ll be the most wrong on a player I’ve been on Blitz. Apart from Courtney Johns who’ll rise again from the ashes as the messiah again one day, or so the good book says.

5 Likes

The best part of our year to date is that it’s our young players standing up and improving. Connor with another 20 games under his belt will be a force.

1 Like

Impossible, … I keep hearing here that we’re not giving our youth games??

5 Likes