#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I think you’ll find that’s only relevant when David Myers is part of the discussion.

1 Like

Was an article in HS yesterday with leading stats for particular scenarios.

One was on defenders only and metres gained.

EFC did not have a player in the set of data as no one on our list had achieved it. Off top of my head it was something like had achieved averaging over 400m gained over at least 4 games.

Conor if he keeps playing to a level like did versus Port will rocket up to the top few players of that list. As per his addition to team of the week

CONOR McKENNA (Essendon): Played a strong game off half-back, where he collected 22 disposals with an efficiency rating of 77 per cent. **Also had the most intercept possessions of any Bomber (nine) and the most metres gained (655m),** and contributed with seven score involvements.

Oh and Zac Merrett was leading metres gained stat for the entire comp.

2 Likes

Nah good point. The fact McKenna’s improved a zillion percent in 5-6 weeks is continued proof that playing youngsters with a few things to work on is a stupid idea

2 Likes

I am inclined to agree with HAP.
According to Woosha, players only get 30 minutes of matchsim at training , between games during the season. So 80% of possible match training is during actual games. It would take 5 weeks of training to get the same amount of match practice.

Based on how long it took the returning players to get back to where they were, it takes about 5-6 games to get used to the manic pace of AFL,

So with McKenna now up to speed, its time to bring someone new in.

Wait 5 games and the season will be over before they get used to it.

More over the things he needed to work on, positioning, speed of decision making could only really be worked on at senior level against athletes that can challange him and squeeze him for time

To be sure

HAP is right to a degree.

But it’s not like McKenna is a first year player just getting used to the physical aspect of being a full time athlete nor the mental side of game or understanding of game plan / structures etc.

I don’t think we holding back any 2-4yr players from coming on. Aside from fact we have a number in team already we actually hardly have any putting their hand up except Langford - but value of him getting big midfield minutes in 2’s seen as more important at present. I expect he will get given the opportunity 2nd half of season.

Of our first year players (and it’s rare unless you are a bottom side they get opportunity) - McGrath playing, McNeice has debuted, Stewart in team, Mutch made emergency list a few times then hurt his ankle and form dropped, Ridley been injured and very under developed body wise anyway. Begley seemingly the next who will get a look in, seems to be building his form well.

Whereas Langford must be learning heaps about AFL midfield intensity in the VFL.

3 Likes

You know you don’t need to post all the time if you don’t have anything to add.
This is clearly untrue - about half the picks in the first 3 rounds (26 of 53) of the draft have debuted so far.

Hap - you’ve been making the same argument all year. You’ve been repeating it over and over, as if to convince those who don’t agree. Fair enough. But now you’re telling someone they don’t need to post if they don’t have anything to add?

There are fairly clear lines here. Some think that right now, we should be playing less experienced players. Some don’t.
Anything to add to that that you haven’t added already?

7 Likes

I think 5 years from now getting midfield minutes into Langford will far outweigh what myers offers for the next 2 to 3.

The bit (as is fairly obvious from the fact I only quoted one line) I’m referring to is the “only bottom sides are debuting first years”. It’s a guess, and it’s wrong, so no, it doesn’t add anything, and it deserves to be corrected - before others take it and run with it.
Much like the “we’re playing a young side - see, McGrath!!” trope, when the truth is we’re putting one of the oldest sides on the park, week after week. Gets said often enough it becomes accepted truth.

No issue with the rest of the post, even though I don’t agree with it.
I take your point about repeating myself but, well, get stuffed!! :wink:

2 Likes

You know you don’t have to harp on daily about us not getting young players into team when we are. Just not to the level that you think is best for team versus what Woosh and co do (and bare in mind they HAD to get a look at returning players also)

I actually said I agree with you to a degree. I’ve wanted Langford in for Myers for a few weeks now.

As for that item of note. Its not relevant to what I said, which was about the top sides, which are usually made up of a heap of experienced players.

As an example in Geelong or Hawks or even St Kildas dominant years, very few first year players came into the team. They developed in the 2’s which is a key reason it’s there for.

And those teams also had unbelievable runs of luck with injury. This season you couldn’t say that, hence a team like GWS has had to roll out most of their first year players. Sydney also has had to.

Our injury list has been surprisingly small. And touchwood it stays that way.

And you think “the top sides” is relevant to a side that’s recently finished 7th-15th-18th and currently sitting 8th?

And the fact is “the top sides” this year have debuted more than us anyway.
I just don’t see how anyone but the most happy-clappy supporter could be happy with a club coming off the wooden spoon only debuting 1 kid and 1 mature age in half a year, and both in the back pocket.

You are making measurements against others sides like we’re the in the same position.

Three of our forwardline didn’t play for us last year.

Three of our starting mids didn’t play for us last year.

Three of our starting backs didn’t play for us last year.

We’ve got some serious ground to make up even before we dip into depth.

1 Like

For starters we aren’t just any wooden spoon team so you can’t use that scenario. It’s ridiculous to do so.

We have played all 10 of our 10 returning senior players, 8 are in team now. Which will be back to 7 once Parish returns from injury & Howlett out.

We also have 2 experienced players recruited from other sides last year in the team in Stewart and Green.

So that’s 9 physically mature currently seen as best 22 players that no other wooden spoon side would have happen the next year.

And given our good injury run really haven’t had any opportunity to be forced into blooding first year players ahead of them actually being ready.

In any case back to Conor.

He has developed really well after what 3yrs and is now at a point where he is about to entrench himself in the side in a vital area of need.

Kudos

We haven’t been debuting youngsters because we’ve been debuting half a team worth of returning players. Look at how McGrath or McKenna took time to get up to speed and compare them to the time Watson, Hurley et.al. took to compete consistently. The team couldn’t cover an underperforming rookie until they had finished covering returned players.

Now the squad is up to speed, it allows a Mutch or Begley to come in and perform inconsistently. And when the rookie fades, the older guys are at a level to cover and assist.

3 Likes

Sadly you’re right that Hocking and co have been handed games

1 more year of SAGA bullshit. “The club’s moving on”. L E L

So Conor is in. Darcy comes back and if Myers cannot get up to speed in 2-3games in comes the Langford if he is ready. If injuries occur we use appropriate depth player. Otherwise only one young player at a time. Please.

1 Like

Can we please rename all these threads “Play the Youth Discussion”? Or a similar more catchy title?
Just started to catch up on some Blitz reading and the only thread that doesn’t seem to devolve to the same selection argument is the Pops Kelly one - and that’s devoted to slagging Cameron Ling.
I know it’s a bye week but …

1 Like