#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Conor should do the kick-ins

4 Likes

I was wrong. This kid will be special, if he keeps progressing he will solve so many of our HBF problems

1 Like

Agree we need to throw him into the mix.

[quote=“Deckham, post:2324, topic:1997”]
He’s given away many a free kick that seemed to baffle him at the time.[/quote]

You don’t need to be Irish to have this problem.

3 Likes

The most obvious most improved award we’ve ever had. Is turning into a very good player. At this rate he’ll be one of the best HBF in the game by years end

1 Like

It is so rewarding watching his current spike in development, what a great story he looks like being. Hasnt even played 20 games yet.

EDIT: he’s played 22

Great bit of play when he took a free kick on the boundary around our D50. Sydney zone was solid. Found a short 15m pass. The zone was still in place, but Conor was the only player not covered. He ran past our 15m player, received the handball and delivered inside 50. Very clever and totally broke the game open.

4 Likes

If you dislocated your finger, reckon you’d still have made the post on Blitz? I guess it depends on how drunk you were… still, it’s a reasonable excuse.

Is this from the D50?
Kicked it to someone.
Got the hands back.
Kicked the perfect ball to Zaharakis who then kicked to Fantasia for the goal if I remember correctly?

That was all Conor and it was amazing.

1 Like

The players are really starting to honour his follow up runs which is great. They’re starting to trust him. He’d been doing this for a while at VFL level but had to earn the trust in the seniors. Opponents will already be talking about trying to block his follow up run.

He did a one two of half back at one point and then kicked an exquisite weighted ball over the top into the corridor for Zaha, I hadn’t seen that kind of touch in his kicking before. I could barely contain myself.

I just can’t wait for next week so I can watch him again on a fast track.

Hope the finger comes up ok

5 Likes

He’s already in it.

1 Like

Can’t agree more. Has me worried.

That’d be it. Such a cunning bit of play and tore straight through the opposition. Really clever, skilled and dangerous.

1 Like

Well in that case, it’s about time he became a seasoned player, … eh?

2 Likes

Would be frustrating to lose a second player in 2 weeks to a finger dislocation. That Conor has a couple of extra days to recover might help.

He’s probably the most exciting player on the list at the moment, and that’s saying something with all the other stars running around.

The kid’s talked about going back to Ireland in the next few years (probably in his prime). Essendon need to convince him otherwise and paying him accordingly might help.

Would like to see him in the midfield eventually.

1 Like

Wait, what?
That is friggin’ hilarious!

It was brilliant play and only McKenna would, or could do it.

Ironically, it looked like Hurley might take the OOF free kick - which would have meant a long bomb down the line or a kick backwards. Either now goal, certainly bot within about 20 seconds.

What was brilliant with the play was:

1. How stationary players of both sides were. McKenna’s speed and energy forced our players to move.
  2. McKenna’s willingness to honour a tight lead with a 15m-25m bullet pass and then immdiately run past for the handball receive.
  3. As you’ve pointed out, then deliver a deft 30m pass to Zaharakis perfectly in the corridor. Only Tippa could probably do it that deftly. It was an amazingly different pass from the low power-bullet pass that started the play and showed a diversity in his passing I had not seen before.

If you did a straw poll now of 16 clubs (exlcuding Bulldogs and us) whether they would pick McKenna or JJ for a HBF role next week if they had them I reckon McKenna would finish in front.

1 Like

Will miss six weeks, like Hooker.

Saw him at the VFL and while it’s probably not the most obvious injury to spot, especially when he’s just walking, he seemed fine.
If he had of been walking on his hands I’d have been able to give a more insightful update.

11 Likes

I love this kid.

His worst game for. awhile and still impacted and made collingwood ■■■■ themselves.

Sorry for @ivan typing.

4 Likes