#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I’m his biggest critic, but that was another good game. Good on ya Conor

2 Likes

You were wrong, that’s the bottom line.

Shouldn’t that be “why do you hate him so much?”? Isn’t that the meme?

Mate, I love him. I’ve gone along to the VFL games for years and I’ve seen him earn his place and he’s great. He’s improving and young and generally does more good than harm and all of the other irrelevant counterarguments by various folk in response to my initial comment, but there was more harm in the mix than usual today and that caught my eye and thought it was worth calling out.

Predictably, Blitz is in a euphoric state where everything is good because we won. Ok fine. Return to the topic when he has the exact same game but we lose.

Go read your first post mate. Show me the opening for a discussion that isn’t. He kicks ■■■■ but extremely verbose. If you’ve gone to vfl you’d see his kicking is good. Again you’re full of it.

Ciao

“I have a perception and I know it’s right because I perceived it”…

Thanks for the suggestion.

Like I said, I have seen it.

Like I said, some unusually poor kicking tonight. Do you want to tell me that you think this was one of his better kicking games?

If you want to write it off as a vent against some of the higher stress moments of the game, that might be fair.

But the deeper question is, can he become a reliably top shelf kick, or does he just get some right, some of the time? The latter will not be good enough long term. I have not and do not disagree with the comments that the trend is in the right direction, but it is still one of the relevant aspects of his development.

Yes, he turns it over but how many games of AFL has he played? his good far outweighs his bad. Half back flank is ONE OF THE HARDEST PLACES to play.

Meant as hello, or goodbye?

In either case, I have been here for a long time, and I will be here for a long while to come.

Hird said he was like getting a top 10 pick for free. Hasn’t proven him wrong.

4 Likes

Absolutely - also had 525m gained I believe which would be one of the highest on the ground tonight.

McKenna, Hurley & McGrath form what is probably the most dangerously attacking HB line in the competition by some way.

They are a key reason for our improvement.

3 Likes

Add the smarts and toughness of Kelly and now Gleeson putting together a great game. Hooker going back in red time. Hartley with the contest kills and still Ambrose to come back. Pretty good times.

2 Likes

Mate, I loved your earlier work. I’ve seen your work for years and I’ve seen you earn your place and it’s great. You’re improving and young and generally do more good than harm …, but there was more harm in the mix than usual today and that caught my eye and thought it was worth calling out.

JOKE. Lighten up bud. He had a couple of clangers. He’s young and aggressive and heading in the right direction. He’s a ripper.

3 Likes

It’s going to be a massive selection headache

1 Like

Runs the best forwards out of games for almost zero influence. Not sure we even need that at the moment. Our losses haven’t come from Franklins and the like.

Every single week I watch our games, and there is not one player who I think has improved more from the start of the year until now than McKenna. He has completely transformed into a genuine up and coming young gun. His run and carry is scintillating. Some of his kicks don’t don’t come off, even the relatively safe ones that he butchers sometimes. But ■■■■ me, a hell of a lot of his disposals break the game open with fantastic kicking or elite pace and run and carry. Fantastic young players we have, has become yet another gun that helps us move the ball so quick. Been so happy with his year so far and can’t wait to see him continue to develop, because right now his development has been immense this year.

9 Likes

Still keep thinking of that bit of play in last years preseason where he chipped the ball up to himself off the side of his foot against Fark. He turns it over but he’s only young and is showing rapid improvement . His skill set is next level. Find him a good Australian girl and enjoy what he brings for 10 years.

2 Likes

Mckenna sidestepped roberton into the shadow realm.

16 Likes

His stuff-ups are more memorable because his style is so different. That he’s graduated to kick-out man should tell you what the coaches and players think of his kicking.

19 Likes