#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I thought Conor chose us

Don’t remember Carlton overlooking him

7 Likes

He liked the spongy floors, reminded him of the soggy fields in Ireland.

6 Likes

So they overlooked Laverde for Boekhurst and didn’t take McKenna in 2014… good year for the FCFC

5 Likes

Yep. We spoke to him first. He was so impressed and comfortable with our guys that after offers from multiple clubs he stuck with us.

2 Likes

Quintessentially the modern half back. His brief seems to be to keep his man honest whilst providing attack from the back line. Along side Myers I think the coaching panel are grooming Conner as a non forward goal option.
Conner is fulfilling the attacking component in spades. In a way he seems to be doing the job they were looking for from Walla last year. Given the drive and scoring opportunities Conner is providing I think most people are going to wear the occasional howler.
It was mentioned earlier but as far as Clangers are concerned I would have put forward Heppells name.

They must give some leniency to tall players. Joe Daniher’s run and bounce in the first quarter from the wing included a 25 metre stretch. That was about 11 or 12 steps which are close to 2 metres each for him.

Nah, the umps count steps and assume 1 metre per step. Obviously need to multiply by the Joe factor. 1.25

Except for Walla: his legs move so fast you lose count

or that by the 10m mark, he’s slipped and fallen over

7 Likes

Haven’t watched that particular example, but it’s hilarious how a baulk almost always counts as a bounce. Like forgetting things when you walk through a door, it just resets the umps’ brain.

They don’t count steps.

Absolutely correct. In fact, there was a lot of interest in McKenna, especially late in the piece when he dominated one of his first full games of AFL against maybe the AIS? It was a real coup at the time for the club that we snapped him up ahead of rivals given the state of turmoil the club was in.

2 Likes

That. Hap . Is the joke.

Free accommodation at Barnz’s house thrown in also.

The grass across the middle there is mowed in 12.5 metre stripes (you can can tell since it takes exactly four to make up the centre square).

He takes about 6.75 steps to cover 12.5 metres => 1.85m per step.

I know, you didn’t ask.

14 Likes

I think he did bounce just as he cut the angle, but you only see it in the side-on replay. I wandered how they let him run 30odd metres.

He bounced twice, I think, but yes, the second one wasn’t visible in one camera angle.

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed any lucky escape during the game, but had to replay the replay. There was a bounce that’s hard to see from the camera angle while obvious from anywhere else…

Can someone confirm if there was a hidden bounce?

2 Likes

“AFL to crack down on hidden bounces”

12 Likes