#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Does anyone else think it's a bit strange that they're elevating him but only giving a one year extension? I love this guy and think he could end up a gun, so I just hope we can secure him long term.

Yep, I found it surprising. I expected 2 years. 1 is pretty odd.

I suspect we will now randomly suggest outrageous reasons why it is only 1 year.

Because he rates himself to be best 22 and get a Pay rise next season.

Whenever these press releases come out I get the feeling the media manager writes the ‘quotes’ for the player and then just says, “does this sound about right” player says “yeah, nah it’s good” and away they go.

But then again I’m a cynical b@stard at times.

Whenever these press releases come out I get the feeling the media manager writes the 'quotes' for the player and then just says, "does this sound about right" player says "yeah, nah it's good" and away they go.

Most likely true in Conor’s case otherwise they’d still be trying to translate what was said.

There were the rumours of homesickness last season. As my entry into the random guesses at why his contract is only one year - might he be keeping his options open for going home?

There were the rumours of homesickness last season. As my entry into the random guesses at why his contract is only one year - might he be keeping his options open for going home?
Aren't we supposed to assume he's going to Collingwood next year? That was the story with Parish.

Homesickness is generic amongst Irish people on coming to Australia. It is therefore always a possibility that an Irish immigrant might become homesick and return. Its easy to float speculation about this with some chance of being right: other Cat B rookies have indeed gone back. But Conor has made friends with some other more established Irish players who have not gone back at this point and neither has he. Since he has made it to 18 months the signs are good.

Number upgrade surely? He can take Parish's #3 next season when he asks for a trade.

I’m guessing he’ll be offered 14, 15, 16, 17 or 19. On the other hand he wore number 11 for Tyrone Minors so maybe we could elevate Zacka to #1 and give Conor his old number back?

I’ve been screaming for him to be elevated since last year when we played collingwood in r23.

Does anyone else think it's a bit strange that they're elevating him but only giving a one year extension? I love this guy and think he could end up a gun, so I just hope we can secure him long term.

Where does it say he is elevated?

Yeah, 1 is the safe move given his background in the game. Don’t like it, 2 would’ve been more appropriate but if things don’t work out next year they don’t have an additional year to worry about. Then again, he may’ve requested the year with the view of getting a better deal if his form warrants it.

In the body of the email?

McKenna was recruited to the Club as a Category B Rookie in the National Rookie Draft in 2014 and as part of his new deal will be elevated to the Club’s senior list.

McKenna was recruited to the Club as a Category B Rookie in the National Rookie Draft in 2014 and as part of his new deal will be elevated to the Club’s senior list.

D’oh…

D’oh…

I missed it too the first time.

Whenever these press releases come out I get the feeling the media manager writes the 'quotes' for the player and then just says, "does this sound about right" player says "yeah, nah it's good" and away they go.

I’ve written a lot of press release and trust me for more than 95% of quotes in these type of structured releases, that is exactly what happens.

D’oh…

I missed it too the first time.

Ah, so that explains your deleted post :slight_smile:

Smack was given 1 year when elevated too

Smack was given 1 year when elevated too

DON’T YOU DARE

Really happy with the elevation and it’s well deserved. Would have liked him to be given 2 years as I think he may need it given his experience.

I think with Tippa, it gives us real run and pace off the hbf. We can also have Dea there and Baguley there for stability.

Number upgrade surely? He can take Parish's #3 next season when he asks for a trade.

I’m guessing he’ll be offered 14, 15, 16, 17 or 19. On the other hand he wore number 11 for Tyrone Minors so maybe we could elevate Zacka to #1 and give Conor his old number back?

you can’t take a senior players number off him, doesn’t matter what number you give him if you take his number and give it to some 3rd year player that would be really poor form. Would you take Lloyd’s 18 off him to give him #1 or Fletcher’s #31?

you can’t take a senior players number off him, doesn’t matter what number you give him if you take his number and give it to some 3rd year player that would be really poor form. Would you take Lloyd’s 18 off him to give him #1 or Fletcher’s #31?

■■■■ says Hi. Not that I begrudge that 3rd year player Fanta the number 13.