#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Dermie was blowing his load every time he talked about Connor, what is showed today is why the coach has persisted with him. We need that lightning speed off half back along with McGrath, this should give him confidence to keep improving

1 Like

Seriously clueless comment.

6 Likes

He’s exactly what need, lightning quick half back flanker that’s tough and has good neat skills. He’s still learning the game so there will be heads in hands moments but boy oh boy the signs are promising.

3 Likes

Did you mean to post this in the Dea thread?

7 Likes

Played well last year v gcs kicking 2 from the backline

3 Likes

I agree - the signs were there late last year… When a lot of our supporters had tuned out perhaps?

8 Likes

Mark Harvey said as much in the post match coach’s video

5 Likes

I had my doubts a few weeks ago, Not now. Call me crazy but I reckon he will be one of our best 4 or 5 players in a couple of years. I think that at the moment he believes he has to give it off to someone else all the time which is only natural for a guy that has played the game for just over 2 years. Once he gets the silly short kicks out of his game he will be elite. Built like Dangerfield and just as strong and quick. Just gotta get the smarts and the cockiness of Dangerfield

Gonna be a jet!

13 Likes

He really used his pace as a weapon today, don’t reckon he’s done a heap of that so far this year.

His defensive game is improving too.

I’m still not 100% sold, but he’s clearly ahead of anybody in the VFL eyeing of his spot. Let’s see what some confidence will do for him over the next month.

1 Like

I think we underestimated how fast this guy is.

2 Likes

17 touches at 88% efficiency. 338 metres gained

Just an observation but tom Mitchell 336 metres gained from 50 touches.

14 Likes

Been critical of him and whether he is worthy of his spot in the team, but was very good yesterday.

1 Like

rather pointless and redundant observation. Apples and oranges. One is a half back flanker and the other an inside clearance mid. that and meters gained is a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ stat.

3 Likes

Like all stats they can be used usefully and idiotically. I think it’s an interesting comparison considering the huge disparity in raw disposal numbers.

2 Likes

This is no accident IMHO, same as with McGrath they’ve asked him to defend first and attack second.

1 Like

makes sense given it was clearly the biggest deficiency in his game. Improve the bit that’s holding him, not make the best parts better.

Jet

Made up about 60m on Darling to run him down, unreal chase. He’s played 19 games of league footy, confidence will skyrocket with another 20 or so and he’ll be a good asset. Plus adds some much needed aggression.

2 Likes

Will be our Kelly replacement next year.

1 Like

Wait… then who is our McKenna replacement?

4 Likes