#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I think most of his games he makes some major stuff ups early and then gets better as the game wears on. Yesterday we got to see his elite kicking. Maybe early in games he should be instructed to play the basics because it usually takes him a quarter to pick up the pace of things. I also think his defending and overhead marking have gotten better this year.

When does Essendon look the best? When we take the game on. What does this kid do everytime he gets the ball? Keep him in, even if it costs us a couple of goals a game, he creates more.

10 Likes

Hirdy said Conor has so much talent he would’ve been taken as a 1st round pick if he came through the national draft.
He who doubteth Hirdy shall be smoten by Odin and Thor.

14 Likes

Where he runs into trouble is his short-passing - they loop and hang in the air (Jobe in 2017 has the same issue, although his short-passing has been largely ill-directed too…). Conor’s longer kicking is beautiful and shames many of his more-experienced team-mates. He should be encouraged to go longer-kicks at every opportunity.

1 Like

Jason Johanisen

what’s that, our next over-rated turnover merchant?

I think part of the reason he gets better as the game goes on is because of his elite tank.

This benefits him greatly because the games generally open up a lot more and he has more time and space.

3 Likes

I reckon he is the best HBF in the game at the moment.

Would love him at Essendon and Dodoro has been keen on him for some time now.

Would cost way too much for a role that McKenna can play at more than 3/4ths the level of JJ

Would rather invest that money into paying Parish, Francis, Langford properly etc

2 Likes

He probably is the best HBF. But I still believe he’s over rated as ■■■■ and butchers the footy. Worst Norm Smith in history. Best on ground for turning the ball over. spell me.

7 Likes

Evidence shows that McKenna can’t yet perform at JJ’s 75%.

So far only Parish deserves any kind of payrise.

Give the money to LAV

I was fine with him a few weeks ago and I’m really happy now. He’ll take a while but I genuinely think he’ll be important for us.

He really only needs to improve by 20% and he’ll be a lock every week. I think he’s got a lot more than 20% improvement in him.

4 Likes

If we can find another 4-5 players of his level , out of the kids we haven’t really seen - Redman, Morgan, Francis et al - our list will be in absolutely super shape.
Nothing wrong with a guy taking 20 odd games over a few years to get up to speed. It’s the norm, guys like McGrath & Parish are the exception.

10 Likes

I suspect we’ll be filling half a dozen empty spots on the list at the end of the year, so we’re going to need transition too.

I’d be assuming we’d be replacing 4, 5, 20, 39, 40 and 47, with a couple of other potential losses as well.

1 Like

24 will go before 4 IMO.

Conor is a great kick, when he doesn’t need to kick it over someone.

This personal observation was brought to you by Soulnet.

6 Likes

Fixed.

4 Likes

Very impressed with him these days, good speed, strong tackle, clangers dropping away

I cringe whenever he has the ball because I think he would either put it to a teamates advantage or crucially turn it over.

However was very good today, get more confidence into himself and McGrath and now we have great line breakers in the back half to go with Tippa, Green, Fanta and Coyler

Myers shrugs off tackles, Mcg side steps them and now Mckenna dashes right through

1 Like