#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Would have loved for him to slam home that goal on the run but the pass was unselfish.

It’s probably the first time we’ve seen him transfer the “good stuff” from VFL to AFL level, and I didn’t notice him falling over or being way out of position like in his previous games this year. Not sure what this means for Gleeson’s career if McKenna continues like this.

2 Likes

He was good at the end of last year, and at the end of the year before against collingwood.

Wonder how many had given up on the seasons back then.

2 Likes

I remember that Collingwood game and he kicked a scrubber torp that floated through from 55.

I thought he was OK late last year but hardly anything to write home about myself, certainly nothing you thought would be sustainable. WCE was the first game I’ve actually thought he might he something more than a flickering Irish experiment. If he keeps playing like that then barnz gets number 1 tickerholder status.

Best 22

3 Likes

Really pleased for him, and well done to the coaches for keeping faith.

For a player with such limited exposure and experience to the game he was outstanding against the WEalges. Leave him in, pump games into him, he can only improve and he has a very high ceiling.

1 Like

His burst of speed is elite and his ability and want to follow up every possession with run to the next contest is great

4 Likes

Imagine seeing this guy being part of our premiership team in 5 years time

would bring a tear to my eye

3 Likes

Still very raw, and a long way behind the likes of Gleeson in terms of knowing the game. But it feels like Gleeson may have a plateau, and I am not sure how much improvement he has left in him.

Conor on the other hand is showing some very good signs, is improving every week, and certainly has all the tools to become a very good player. I think he may very well be the quickest player on our list. His speed looked remarkable on the weekend.

2 Likes

He’s progressing beautifully - Is now losing his opponent less in contested/pack situations - Is still uncertain when running with the ball in the clear when he has team support - Still has the gaelic habit of handing off the ball unnecessarily.

Why not this year?

2 Likes

Haven’t heard him speak since he arrived at the club…is he any easier to understand these days?

1 Like

Strong being the operative word.
And to anyone complaining about his kicking I suggest you look at the replay of Colyer in the 1st quarter.

3 Likes

The stats confirm Marty plateaued in mid 2016.
When we needed an extra intercept marking player last year Marty was the one. With Dea, Baggers and Hurls down back, we now have intercept marking capability that enables us to select Conor, who is faster, more agile and much more aggressive than Marty.

Marty really really needs to add bulk and strength over the next 9 months.

5 Likes

He is such an exciting proposition because he is literally all upside. Could be anything, his athletic ability is incredible, tough, improving overhead, very good kick. Really pleased we have preserveered with him, was always someone that needed an extended run in the seniors to develop properly. He will still have some dodgy moments but by the end of the season I think we will all be very happy with our new weapon off HB.

10 Likes

We’ve had a few exceptions lately…Hepp and Zerrett as well.

Yep. That’s why Marty isn’t getting game at the moment. Dea, although not much older in years is clearly more physically mature.

1 Like

I reckon Gleeson will struggle to get back in team.

His body size standing against him, and if you compared him to say Robert Murphy who has been able to get away with never putting on weight it’s because he is so quick/agile and also his foot skills unbelievable. Decision making also elite.

Gleeson just doesn’t have any standout attributes IMO. He is still however an ok player, handy depth or the kind that you could use with a pick to upgrade to a better player via trade.

5 Likes

Edited for reality.

5 Likes

\Amusing anecdote about that. Some sports show on Fox has Tadgh Kennelly as a panellist and they were interviewing the guy who’s been drafted at #3 as a defensive end by the Forty-Niners. This guy apparently spent his formative years in Australia and on returning to the US had schoolmates and teachers complaining that they couldn’t understand his Australian accent and he needed speech therapy to lose it.

He told this story, then Tadgh had his say. The absolute confusion on his face was followed by much mirth. I didn’t understand a word he said, although I suspect he was accentuating the accent. Kerry accents are very strong though, as are Tyrone ones.