#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I thought he was good
Either won or halved his one on ones and was involved in some of our creative play.
In an overall bad team performance he did ok.

2 Likes

100% disposal efficiency tonight.

3 Likes

McKenna is an unconventional player, and he gets some knocks for that. And he makes some mistakes too, which earns him a few more knocks too, which is a popular pastime. But gee, what he brings to the team is a bit of dynamism off the half back line. That’s why he’s in the team, he takes things on and makes things happen. Sometimes they don’t happen, or they go wrong, which is when the knockers come knocking. Sometimes they do though, and out of nothing there comes something - that’s why he’s in the team. He’s a catalyst. We need that, and that’s what Gleeson isn’t.

This is what you have you understand. McKenna isn’t there for his defensive capabilities. He’s there because he’s an offensive weapon - and more confidence and surety he gets the better team we’ll be. Start supporting him - now,

15 Likes

I saw 2 Richmond players limp to the interchange after a fair McKenna bump. He’s a hard nut as well.

8 Likes

Absolutely right. The whole McKenna is a dud noise is ridiculous. The number of mistakes made by seasoned players tonight was amazing, but no, the same nonsense about Conor. Unlike plenty, he was still running and competing when others had packed it in. Got caught once or twice, but created or was involved in quite a few forward thrusts. There were probably 10 who had worse games than Conor McKenna tonight.

3 Likes

He is ok when he is over 100m away from the opposition goals. He is a panic merchant in defense but get him forward of centre and he makes some real good decisions

So panicy he hits hooker on the tit from the kick in with a50 meter bullet with two minutes to play. Was pretty reliable with the ball in the last line tonight

8 Likes

Only he and McGrath gave us in run in the last 45 minutes of the goals.

McKenna’s run also set up the Hooker set shot on goal (I think late in Q3).

3 Likes

He is not replacing Gleeson… Gleeson will replace Kelly once he retires.

Mckenna has cemented his spot… AFAIK… he is very heath shaw like.

There was a patch in the 4th where he was killing it. … Watson was jogging defensively… yet Mckenna was running his guts out to both of there defensive contests. beat 2 richmond players and won a clearance as well…

needs to add something to his rapid ball punching when corralled though… but otherwise he looks dangerous.

5 Likes

There are worse players than him and I can’t see 22 better players than him at the moment. Doesn’t have the awareness that the good players have but does have run, carry, decent enough skill and courage.

So panicky he threw the ball away and gave away the free and should of been pinged a couple of more times for incorrect disposal. Directly gave up atleast 2 goals due to his indecision. Played much better in the last though

He got caught and only barely bobbled it in the tackle but yes he was slow to make a decision. Can’t remember the 2nd goal. Did get caught another time where he folder up like an armadillo and I thought he was lucky. He certainly isn’t instinctive with his hands but he is pretty clean so hopefully the quicker releases will come.

Should never have given it to Hartley for the world’s worst Torp.

What was Myers thinking when he tackled McKenna

3 Likes

He’s done.

Reckon he was good.

Anyone else really like the subtle lampshading he does on the ridiculousness of our rules the way he rampantly punches the ball into his own chest? He’s picked that up so well and it just looks absurd. Because it is.

Imagine the conversation with a more seasoned player where they taught him that early doors. “Even if you did nothing wrong you can get pinged for not trying to get it out. But you don’t have to, like, really try. Just keep tapping at the ball with your fist. Yeah, like that! Faster! Yeah that’s good. You’re all set.”

19 Likes

Don’t understand the hate. Improving each game.

11 Likes

I wonder if the club sees him in the backline full time or just until he has a better understanding of the game
A lot to work with, a lot worse out there tonight who are also far more experienced

just want to say, ■■■■ people like pbomber.

4 Likes

Yeah, I hope he hasn’t been pigeon holed into a defender. I think he has all the traits of a out and out wingman. Is a hard runner and can find space and his kicking looks so much better when he is hitting up a forward.

2 Likes