#47 James Kelly - #BackIn

Where are the punctuation Police ?
They got a headache after the first sentence and gave up.
Chucked in a guaranteed development role with the AFL to play one more season with us. Seriously liking this dude.

He senses something

Chucked in a guaranteed development role with the AFL to play one more season with us. Seriously liking this dude.

He senses something

A great disturbance in the farce?

Glad that he's back in.

I mean, sure, he’s good at footy and all.

But that reaction when they all took the ■■■■ out of Darcy? That alone deserves a contract.

You mean this one?

http://i.imgur.com/KgAQrbt.gif

Ha ha ha, that’s the one! Anyone around here know exactly what the inside joke was?

Parish got the rising star nomination. They egged him on to make a speech. He thought they were serious and stood up to make one. Very quickly realised they were all taking the ■■■■.

Can’t help but feel there’s more to it than that. In the moments leading up to Darcy’s attempt at a speech there’s a lot more than just mere applause. There’s a fair bit of carry on, smiles and an air of anticipation. And then as he begins talking the place really erupts with laughter.

Could be wrong.

It was just a beautiful set up because they egged him, he declined but then obviously felt like maybe he’d made a mistake by declining so started in on something and got destroyed. Perceptible stages of urine extraction

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce delisted free agents James Kelly and Matt Dea have both re-committed to the Bombers ahead of the 2017 season.

Kelly has signed a one-year contract extension while Dea has signed on for another two years which will see them remain at the Club until the end of 2017 and 2018 respectively.

Kelly and Dea joined the Bombers on the eve of the 2016 season as two of the Club’s ten short-term additional recruits.

Kelly said he was looking forward to the opportunities of his 16th AFL season.

“It’s been a real privilege for me to be part of this footy Club,” Kelly said.

“I have really enjoyed my football under Woosha and was always hopeful for the chance to go around again next season.

“I am really looking forward to watching the development of the younger players on our list as we strive for future success.”
Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said the decorated veteran had already made a huge contribution to the Club during his short time with the Bombers.

“James’ leadership has been invaluable to not only his teammates but the entire Club since day one,” Worsfold said.

"He is a really accomplished player - he’s done everything you need to do as far as AFL football goes but still has the desire to play.

“His role as somewhat of an ‘on field coach’ has only been strengthened by his overwhelming ability to lead by example in terms of sharing his knowledge and experience.”

Dea said he was grateful for the second chance to resurrect his AFL career.

“The boys have been fantastic and the Coaches have been really supportive since the day I arrived,” Dea said.

“This season was a massive opportunity for me to develop my game and I’m really honoured to have the chance to continue my career in the red and black.

“I am really excited about what the future holds for this group in 2017 and beyond.”

Worsfold said Dea was more than deserving of another opportunity at the Club after a stellar 2016 season.

“Throughout this season, Matt was one of the mainstays of our defence each week,” Worsfold said.

"At only 24-years of age, he has proved himself as a tough, courageous and vocal member of our backline.

“Matt constantly puts his body on the line earning him the respect of his coaches, his teammates and fans alike so we’re really looking forward to what he will bring to the team in 2017.”
List and Recruiting Manager, Adrian Dodoro, said Kelly and Dea’s outstanding seasons in 2016 would hold them in good stead for a great start to the 2017 pre-season.

“James and Matt brought a wealth of experience and knowledge to our playing group this season, both on and off the field, and they will both no doubt continue to have a big impact on their teammates over the pre-season.

“James and Matt are the ultimate competitors and we think they both have a lot to offer our playing group in 2017.”
Triple-premiership player and All Australian, James Kelly, played 20 games with the Bombers in 2016, finished equal second in the Club’s best and fairest and his career thus far extends to 293 games.

Most Courageous Player Award Winner, Matt Dea, played 21 games with the Bombers in 2016, finished eighth in the Club’s best and fairest and reached his 50 game milestone this season.

Jobs on the gravey train are pretty hard to come by for former star players. I hope Kelly will be OK in retirement whenever that transpires.

Kelly is a better player and 2 years younger than Matthew Boyd who just delivered a killer season in his second year in a backline role for the premiers.

If things go well for us this year Kelly will be a huge asset and could have more football left in him than people think

Top Up Player = Short Term Additional Recruit.=“S.T.A.R” LOL.

Kel played +1 in defence a lot in 2016. He knows how to find the ball and we can thank Kel for quite a number of gives, particularly in the early rounds which basically enabled Tippa to gain confidence at AFL level and execute the run and carry that we found very exciting. Left to find the ball himself would have made Tippas introduction to AFL a lot more difficult. IMO.

What can I say. They truly were the "stars " of the top up players and its great to have them on board.

Rapt he is on board.

Another player in the team who you know will perform to a high level week in week out.

Cats really screwed up with him. SJ maybe only had a 1yr/2 max so was right decision. Kelly on output could have played for 3/4 when they moved him on.

Danger and Selwood stood up in the final without too much help. Kelly absolutely would have too.

Kelly brings so much more than what his output is on gameday, his influence will hopefully continue long after he has left.

James Kelly - six time premiership player

James Kelly - six time premiership player

300 + games player. I note he said : “…It’s been a real privilege for me to be part of this footy Club…”
This is from a player who had done it all before he came to Essendon. Compliments dont come much better than that.

If nothing else should help transition the other senior players to Woosh’s style.

Very happy with this - he was outstanding last season. I can’t wait to see him in a fully fledged side.

Has the balls to take the releasing risky kick from the back half (although it doesn’t always pay off).

Great to have him on the list.

new fletch innit

Jobs on the gravey train are pretty hard to come by for former star players. I hope Kelly will be OK in retirement whenever that transpires.

knows a pack of ■■■■■ when he sees one

Hope he stays on as a defence coach when he decides to stop playing.

Essendon midfielder James Kelly is confident the Bombers can make the finals in 2017

MORE MAYO JON RALPH, Herald Sun
an hour ago

JAMES Kelly says his confidence Essendon can play finals next season was a spur to him signing on for his 16th AFL season.

The triple Geelong premiership player thrived in his first season at Essendon, playing 20 games off half-back and finishing second in the Crichton Medal.

Kelly told the Herald Sun yesterday it was made clear by coach John Worsfold if the club secured some alternate trade targets it might have run out of spots on its list for him.

But with four All-Australians returning on Monday and the club flush with key position stars, Kelly says it can set its sights high.

The 293-gamer cannot wait to learn more from playing alongside Jobe Watson after postponing a year-long AFL House traineeship until 2018.

“It’s hard not to be excited. The opportunity to play with the club’s best 12 players was a big reason I played on,’’ Kelly said after signing a one-year extension yesterday

“The opportunity to play with those guys and learn from those guys will be a real experience for me.

“On paper we have got a pretty good side and there is a long way to go but we should go well.

“I don’t think you can go into any season thinking you are not going to make finals.

“We have got a mature side, good key position players, good midfield depth and if we can get everyone on the same page then we should be a chance.”

It was a remarkable season from Kelly in defence, arriving at the club on January 18 as a top-up after the ASADA bans.

He admitted to deep reservations about playing on, worried it might quickly become apparent he had made a mistake after his brilliantly successful Geelong career.

“I left Geelong thinking I still had footy left in me and I wasn’t bitter,’’ he said.

“I wasn’t proving anyone wrong by playing on and you think you can keep playing, but you are afraid it might hit you like a punch in the face that you can’t.

“I was really conscious of that and probably six or seven rounds in I thought I am going all right, I had slotted back into it and my body was feeling good.

“I was lucky I remained injury free.”

Kelly will return on November 21 to training, his cheeky bid for another late start having been dispatched by Worsfold.

“I did try to get that over the line. I said it to ‘Woosher’ and he said you can play for six months but we will only pay you for six months …”

The veteran said the entire club was handed an emotional boost by Watson’s decision to play on after months of equivocation.

“Everyone was rapt,” Kelly said. “I had caught up with Jobe before he went away and hadn’t asked him about it, but when he announced it you could see this big sigh or relief and happiness.

“If he was a ■■■■ bloke no one would be fazed if he came back or not, but (the reaction) is a real credit to the person he is.

“He is an outstanding player and an outstanding person as well.”

Matt Dea also signed a two-year contract extension yesterday after invigorating his career since being picked as a top-up after a frustrating career at Richmond.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-midfielder-james-kelly-is-confident-the-bombers-can-make-the-finals-in-2017/news-story/96b9e9a626bde34735e0f71686206430

Going to be so good having Pops for another year.