#47 James Kelly - #BackIn

I'd like to see Goddard kick the ball forward and quickly occasionally. Guys who get easy stats and hold up the ball hinder the team.

I’m convinced a lot of peopleudge games by stats, not by what they see.

At a time when the team has been slow, static and sideways in their ball movement, Goddard has been continually moving the ball on and taking high risk kicks into the corridor. I think we’ve all been watching a different players.

I'd like to see Goddard kick the ball forward and quickly occasionally. Guys who get easy stats and hold up the ball hinder the team.

At a time when the team has been slow, static and sideways in their ball movement, Goddard has been continually moving the ball on and taking high risk kicks into the corridor. I think we’ve all been watching a different players.

I remember the high risk kicks…across the ground.

Far out we had one of the shitest seasons in the history of the club, our forward line didn’t do much and our midfield was bare. Of the players to really try hard, he tried to cover more ground than most if any other Essendon player. Goddard not only did that but he did so while keeping the spirits up and demanding an effort even when we were down. He also tried to make something out of nothing(failing at times).

When he played badly or did something wrong you saw how badly it hurt him and when we lost he hurt like all other champions of the club.

Next season he doesn’t have to be the top 3 players at the club, he doesn’t even even have to be the best in his position. What he can do is go back to being that utility that does the most when it mattered that he has been in the past.

He is best 22.

I remember the high risk kicks…across the ground.

When our switches were so slow and telegraphed that they became useless. Yeah.

One thing I have no doubt about is that Goddard takes responsibilty to take the game on and always plays to the game plan, despite having 4 coaches in 3 years and a team that for most of that time was struggling to execute through mental fatigue or from still learning the game plan.

Well his performance justified the year contract. Was awesome across half back and i thought it was really telling that McGrath single him (and Hurley) out as the “big brothers” that helped him through.

Just another little example of what senior guys like Kelly and Goddard can bring to a club in their twilight years. Is an utter professional and has clearly already left his mark on our club culture etc.

Not sure if he will travel to Brisbane or not… but he looked fit on Saturday… and hungry!

7 Likes

That play in the last, with the final nail not quite in yet, where he shut down a transition on the wing by leaving his man and absolutely destroying the Hawks player under the ball was fantastic, ruthless and brutal. It was about that time I turned to Mrs Ivan and said I think we’ve got this.

He just sures us up wherever he is. He is tough, smart, clean and fit. He’ll be invaluable this year and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him again next year as long as his body continues to hold up.

The situational awareness he brings is invaluable down back. Kinda guy you want near the ball when the heat is on in the closing moments of tight games. Gleeson, McKenna and McGrath should be watching his/their tapes with him this year.

18 Likes

I remember thinking “Gee I wish that was Ambrose”. Kelly hit Breust (Shiels?) hard enough to crack a rib. Ambrose would have splattered him into 2018.

8 Likes

Spot On… that moment you talk about is exactly what I was thinking when I found his player thread. One moment in many but just was that “class” that perhaps we have been missing at times. Not just to know to leave his man and get there but then to actually execute… rather than somehow miss the spoil and allow some easy overlap BS behind him…

Was awesome and also he is the first one to go over to young players (particularly McG on sat) and congratulate them on EVERY possession they get. Basically if he is not directly involved in the play… he is beside/near/yelling at some young kid either encouragement or positioning etc etc. Just ‘involved’ in the game at all times. Was really wonderful to see.

4 Likes

Bloke is just a general in the back half of the ground, cruising around doing his own thing and not making a mistake. Looks like he’s picked up exactly where he left off last year; and you could tell how much he hates those pr***s and what it meant to him; fk he hit them hard

7 Likes

He’s the icing on a cake that actually exists now.

3 Likes

More than once I mistook him for Ambrose. He was super aggressive… I guess Geelong had their fair share of rivalry with Hawthorn as well

That geelong side was also an incredibly tough and ruthless side.

McG playing a year beside him is invaluable. Just such a cool head.

2 Likes

I thought he was BOG in that first 5 mins of the game when we kicked 3 goals. He was involved in all of them! I had no idea how good he was until he came to us. Very very thankful.

5 Likes

What a flaming champ!

Extend his contract

1 Like

Just realised that contest on the wing in the last forced a turnover which lead to the Stanton sealer

Breust wasn’t it?
Absolutely smashed him

Not going to want to lose too many of Kelly, Goddard, Watson and Stanton at year’s end. As many have said they’re really the cherries on top in their respective roles now.

2 Likes
26 Likes