#47 James Kelly - #BackIn

That’s just beautiful

I should stop. It’s addictive.

Yup, smashed him, took him out of the play, and stayed involved himself. I think a lot of our players would have just run to the contest and wrapped Breust up to prevent him from playing on. That wouldn’t be bad play, but Kelly went for the actual contest, and made sure that if he didn’t get a clean spoil he’d go straight through Breust. Even if the ball had somehow got out the back there was no way Breust would be able to take advantage of it lying half stunned on the ground.

It was a big hit and good to watch, but it was also the smart play, which made it freakin beautiful.

Kelly never passes up an opportunity to break someone. Didn’t he collect Hocking high a few years ago?

Breust copped several jarring impacts in this match - while trying to tackle Ambrose, trying to spoil Gleeson, sitting under that hospital pass in front of Kelly. And it was all totally legal, just unfortunate for him.

And he is a player I really rate.

Goddard?

Yep it was Goddard in the 2013 game early in the season and I think it was 1 v 2 at the time so there was a bit of hype.

1 Like

His composure was awesome. Definitely worth having him in the team.

1 Like

He’s our version on Bob Murphy across the backline.

2 Likes

He nailed Cyril in the 3rd too, at true centre half back. Mitchell kicked a point from spillage but Cyril got spin around like a top

I was watching the replay yesterday and noticed he also went hard at a Hawks player on the Southern Stand wing at one point. His eyes lit up and it was a big tackle. His old team mate Lingy made note of it too. It still amazes me that Kelly was 5-6 months into retirement before he came back, played the year he did last year and is still performing so well. Pure and unadulterated class.

1 Like

That’s the one i want gif’d. It was one of their front runners (langford) Kelly almost murdered him

2 Likes

Can someone confirm his boot size? They look massive, almost as if he’s running around in clown shoes.

Really hope he can string a lot of games together with the other seniors on the list and put on one special season…

Took every opportunity he could to hurt someone. Loved it.

2 Likes

He is such a good player and one of the few aging players from other clubs to really have an impact.
Goddard is another obvious standout but you don’t realise what blessings they are until you vaguely remember Mark Williams, Skipworth, Chappy, Cooney, Stokes, Crowley, Simpkin, Polkinghorne, Grima, Jamar.

1 Like

Chappy was good for 1 year
Cooney was serviceable
Jamar wasnt bad off no preseason.
Stokes may have assisted tippa in development.
The rest are basically top ups.

3 Likes

Skipworth was alright, helped us make finals in 2009 when we really shouldn’t have been close. But like a lot of the guys listed was only good for one year, two max (Murphy and Alan would also fall into that category).

You also forgot Zantuck, Haynes, Edwards, Aylett, Alvey, Heffernen (take #2), Cupido, Cole and Giles.

McKernan and Brown have been useful, and Hartley has been a real find.

Faaaarking gun!

He will be the making of Parish, McGrath and a few others teaching to play at the level of intensity and hardness he does.

He will be on the coaching panel next year!

5 Likes

We have a few players like him that will make a difference if we make the finals. What a pick up. Both Scott’s have pushed on some players they should have kept.

Scott no idea those too.

1 Like