#47 James Kelly - #BackIn

This discussion will be well worth remembering at the end of this year. We may have our own difficult decisions to make.

2 Likes

Maybe moving them out earlier might’ve seen them get access to some better younger talent that could be standing up now? As a consequence of their own success they’ve had limited access to high draft picks, you could argue that moving on some older guys while they still had currency might’ve served them better in the long term, even if it did hurt them some more at the time.

not may, 100% will. The one difference we have is that most of the guys that will making calls on wont have any currency. I’m talking specifically about moving on guys who are ~29-30 and will still get you some currency. So think Stevie J or Kelly say 3 years ago, or Brett Deledio at Richmond. Tigs will find themselves with 2x 1st round picks in this years draft as a result of that deal. Watch how ruthless Hawthorn will be this year, there’s already rumours they happy to shop any of Rioli, Breust, Gunston et al to bring some picks back in the door this year. There’s a tall forward/ruckman from the Albury/Boarder region that they’re very interested in and happy move plenty to get access to him.

I think you only move on if you have got players ready to take their place. Look at North, told 4 veteran players they were out the door, but they clearly have the youngsters ready to go. Vickers-Willis, Durdin, Turner, Simpkin, etc look the goods. Having watched Geelong’s VFL out at Windy Hill Saturday, they want to have a relatively injury-free run because they have zero coming through their 2s. Finally the “system” re lack of access of quality draft picks due to sustained success has caught up with them, and that was further exacerbated by the trading they did to get Danger, Henderson, Z.Smith, Tuohy into the club. Pretty much wiped out 2 drafts.

As far as Kel goes, he is a marvel in not only his own performance, but what he does for his teammates. McGrath would’ve been good anyway, but having a mentor like Kelly instructing him at training and in game is fast-tracking his development. He may not end up a premierhsip player at EFC, but he will leave an indelible mark on the club for stepping in during our time of need, but also the knowledge and experience he is giving to our youngsters.

6 Likes

Geelong are going to have to do that at the end of the year because you can put a fork in Mackie and Lonergan only just hung on last off-season. I’d don’t know what they have in reserve…they do have Thurlow and Ruggles but they’re just flankers.

We attacked regularly through Mackie and he was just about WOG for me. Did a couple of good things, but our pace tore him to shreds.

1 Like

Hopefully Kelly stays on at Essendon instead of going to the evil empire of the A(w)FL.

2 Likes

I think while that is true they did bring in some players in the last few years via trade like Dangerfield, Tuohy, Black and co to add to their top end talent before they decline.

Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor will all be gone by the time they can develop and get in new talent.

I reckon they didn’t forsee this lack of midfield depth.

Reminds me a lot of Carlton when they had a midfield built around Judd.

1 Like

I really loved the dual team chair off with Selwood. Others may not have, but I really liked it.

31 Likes

Have they made GF since then? Sure they haven’t bottomed out but “not bottoming out” isn’t why they play footy.

You’d have to be a weirdo to not like that.

2 Likes

Luckily there are no weirdos on Blitz. Nope.

7 Likes

DKP says that this proves we’re mediocre and prepared to accept that players also have friends at other clubs.

11 Likes

Is there any footage of this around? There was nothing on the fox footy broadcast (just the after match panel commentating the other game that was already playing on the other channel)

You mean the 2 Captain chair off?? It was shown on the 7 broadcast, & was on The ABC news, so I’m guessing every News that night.

I’m torn on this issue. I think about guys like Hird and Lloyd and how at the time (their last couple of years) I wanted to keep them in the side, but then I look back and think we should have started rebuilding sooner - have we even started rebuilding yet? Not by choice really, we’ve been on the receiving end of the offloading (Chappy/Coons/Mark Williams/Goddard).
We haven’t really traded anyone decent in the last decade unless they already had one foot out the door (Ryder/Carlisle) and they certainly weren’t club champions who were slightly past their prime.
I guess because of our lack of success we haven’t really had many champions to offload, and anyone who’s shown promise has been desperately needed.
And as for Hird & Lloyd, seeing them play for another club would definitely have been detrimental to the club and what it stands for, but I think that time has passed us by.
And at this point in time, Watson is really the only player that would even be considered one of our current champions but doubt we are fielding many offers for him on his current form.

Who watches tv news?
And poxtel cut off the minute the game finishes.

1 Like

It was great.

As was Kel’s son wearing a bombers jersey and cats beanie!

5 Likes

Sign me up

a. We had 2 years of drafts robbed. huge factor in our ability to rebuild.
b. the saga and year out has made the situation v unclear re: many players.
c. I assume the following re: the older brigade:

Jobe - to keep going
Stants - that’s it
Kelly - that’s it
Hocking - that’s it
BJ - to keep going

This
Even my wife spat it when those cocksmacks cut away straight after the game. C7 had the Adelaide Clowns on being in Adelaide so had to watch the AwFuL app to see him chaired off