#47 James Kelly - #BackIn

Bump.

I was just thinking that I’m surprised we didn’t really see him at any centre bounces in 2017. Thought he did OK in there last year.

Anyway, I’m interested in thoughts on this, or his year in general.

He’s had some great games for us this year, which I actually expected.
I’m not super keen for him to have another year, it feels like he’s dropped off a little late in the year, but I’d give him a 2018 over some others.

If he goes, it’s another position we have to fill, obviously.
And I wouldn’t be against it being filled by a player traded in, as long as he’s not too old.

He’s not cooked yet, but it could happen at any minute.

He’s probably still got a big final left in him though, hopefully we get him to one.

3 Likes

He can’t play on next year surely

5 Likes

Could play on next year and offer more than some. Shouldn’t though. We need to start actually turning the list over properly.

P.S. Loved the way Kelly played long before he came here and he has been great value, much better investment than Chapman, Cooney etc. Thanks for the memories Pops.

3 Likes

No room for both him and Jarred McVeigh

5 Likes

He’s slowing down, and fast. Last year imo

3 Likes

Jet, needs to play on to help with the development of our small back men.
Also provides another senior head which will be needed after we loose a lot by years end.

Since he hasn’t announced his retirement like many others already have, I assume he is putting his hand up for another year. As tempting as it may be I would prefer he stays on in a coaching roll rather than playing (unless its in our VFL team). Its time to bring the next batch through.

McG reckons he’s priceless on the ground.

Would be an excellent development coach next year.

1 Like

Screw Geelong.

1 Like

First game back after a break against the best team in the comp.

Steady on turbo

2 Likes

I’d love us to have our players retire on top and in good form as opposed to on the decline and struggling to the end. That’s why I hope he retires this year. He might have some good games in him next year but the end will come and come very fast for him. Boyd, Scott Thompson and any number of retirees will attest to that from this year alone.

2 Likes

True. But the problem is that at his age and how he plays, he could very well return after the christmas break and find the game has ‘suddenly’ gone past him.

However, if he’s comfortable with the possibility of spending time in the VFL then i dont mind if he goes around again. Given the likely departures of several older players i dont think it screws the list to keep him.

1 Like

He comes across as a pretty self aware fella

2 Likes

Good enough testament for me. He could and should play on in 2018, with the understanding that he won’t always be first choice, and will probably only about half the H & A season.

1 Like

Could/would be really important if we’re in a position to mount a serious final’s campaign next year.

1 Like

As great as he’s been in the 1.8 seasons at the dons, he’s done. I wouldn’t say he’s let us down or cost us, but we defs need more from that role. I say that role, as the defender who takes the easiest matchup to help set us up forward.

4 Likes