#49 Matt Dea

My tigers mate hates Houli. Calls him a turnover merchant!

Solid contested mark, tough as nails.

Love me some Dea (no homo)

Looks good when not asked to stand a tall. The Gleeson role suits him as peos said. He has more impact in the air

3 Likes

Imagine how good the team would be if the midfield won the inside 50 count. Hurley back in form, Dea playing well and Ambrose to come back and suddenly our backline looks sound.

1 Like

Hibbo replacement. Just lacks his pace & penetration on kicks. But equally as competitive, courageous and good at intercepting.

1 Like

Fixed

1 Like

Yep. Backline of Hurls Ambo Dea, Bags Macka, and Kelly or a rotating mid is not bad at all.

1 Like

He isn’t half the player of Hibbo.

1 Like

That’s it. Hooksey to go back as required if the opposition talls are getting away or we are getting killed in the middle in red time. Still have Joe and Stew as tall targets forward. Raz is a genuine marking target as well as everything else up there too.

A bit short perhaps? I think you need to make room for one of Hartley or Brown otherwise Dea gets exposed to a tall.

1 Like

Another solid game.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Had difficult match ups in the four games

• Watts was a bad match up and forgive for that game
  • Was disappointing against kersten
  • Very good against geelong
  • Shaded by Darling who kicked 2-5

Overall has been a bit disappointing and think Brown is mre suited to this role.

He’s undersized for all those guys. But battled manfully. What we lose in his one on one match up we get back with intercept marking. Had Darling kicked straight they’d have moved Hurley on to him and he’d have chopped him up.

Yeah and if my great Aunty had kicked straight in 81 she would have made it home for supper on time. The fact is he didn’t kick straight, WCE didn’t kick 16.8 instead of 8.16, and Dea did his job. The fact is if you kick it out to him on a lead, or Kennedy or any decent forward they’re going to mark it, if you kick it to their advantage. That’s fact, unless of course you try and play a few m’s in front of them but risk getting caught out over the top. It’s up to the midfield to make sure they can’t get those easy kicks because these forwards are going to mark 9.9/10 no matter who they’re playing on, end of the day they’re basic marks on the lead which they mark every day. The key is those one on ones or contested situations and Dea did more than enough and even kicked a goal himself, and looks comfortable mopping up.

7 Likes

It’s why I’d like to get a look at

Bags, Ambrose Hurley,
dea, Hartley, McGrath

Int: Conor, Kelly

2 Likes

So I’ve seen a lot of calls to drop Dea, that he had a bad game in the reviews and changes threads. In the reviews thread a number of people praised Gleeson. Why the difference on views of both players?

Dea had one less disposal than Gleeson, 5 marks to Gleeson’s 8, but 2 more tackles and better DE%. Lynch had 17 disposals, 8 mark and kicked 1.1. McGovern had 10 disposals, 5 marks and kicked 3.1. They both got beaten on a tough night by more traditional tall forwards. They had about the same impact the other way.

So why does one get seen to have had a good game and the other should be dropped?

It’s typical of blitz Ants. Judging a player on one game is stupid. The pace of the game between VFL and AFL is so great its rare a player will come in and kill it.

Dea will become more important as time goes and Kelly, Bags more on. He is a good player and was in form when he was dropped earlier in the year. He’s a strong body and when he is able to can provide drive and movement forward.

Woosha only brings him in to play on tallish marking forwards (Watts and McGovern) and to nobody’s surprise he gets towelled up.

1 Like

That Pelican from Freo

1 Like