#49 Matt Dea

Far out, I spend too long over in the trade and draft forum and miss all the big news.

Great news.

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce delisted free agents James Kelly and Matt Dea have both re-committed to the Bombers ahead of the 2017 season.

Kelly has signed a one-year contract extension while Dea has signed on for another two years which will see them remain at the Club until the end of 2017 and 2018 respectively.

Kelly and Dea joined the Bombers on the eve of the 2016 season as two of the Club’s ten short-term additional recruits.

Kelly said he was looking forward to the opportunities of his 16th AFL season.

“It’s been a real privilege for me to be part of this footy Club,” Kelly said.

“I have really enjoyed my football under Woosha and was always hopeful for the chance to go around again next season.

“I am really looking forward to watching the development of the younger players on our list as we strive for future success.”
Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said the decorated veteran had already made a huge contribution to the Club during his short time with the Bombers.

“James’ leadership has been invaluable to not only his teammates but the entire Club since day one,” Worsfold said.

"He is a really accomplished player - he’s done everything you need to do as far as AFL football goes but still has the desire to play.

“His role as somewhat of an ‘on field coach’ has only been strengthened by his overwhelming ability to lead by example in terms of sharing his knowledge and experience.”

Dea said he was grateful for the second chance to resurrect his AFL career.

“The boys have been fantastic and the Coaches have been really supportive since the day I arrived,” Dea said.

“This season was a massive opportunity for me to develop my game and I’m really honoured to have the chance to continue my career in the red and black.

“I am really excited about what the future holds for this group in 2017 and beyond.”

Worsfold said Dea was more than deserving of another opportunity at the Club after a stellar 2016 season.

“Throughout this season, Matt was one of the mainstays of our defence each week,” Worsfold said.

"At only 24-years of age, he has proved himself as a tough, courageous and vocal member of our backline.

“Matt constantly puts his body on the line earning him the respect of his coaches, his teammates and fans alike so we’re really looking forward to what he will bring to the team in 2017.”
List and Recruiting Manager, Adrian Dodoro, said Kelly and Dea’s outstanding seasons in 2016 would hold them in good stead for a great start to the 2017 pre-season.

“James and Matt brought a wealth of experience and knowledge to our playing group this season, both on and off the field, and they will both no doubt continue to have a big impact on their teammates over the pre-season.

“James and Matt are the ultimate competitors and we think they both have a lot to offer our playing group in 2017.”
Triple-premiership player and All Australian, James Kelly, played 20 games with the Bombers in 2016, finished equal second in the Club’s best and fairest and his career thus far extends to 293 games.

Most Courageous Player Award Winner, Matt Dea, played 21 games with the Bombers in 2016, finished eighth in the Club’s best and fairest and reached his 50 game milestone this season.

Dealightful

Richmond’s indirect merry go round game style exposed his biggest weakness. He looks much better playing direct, straight line football. What’s really funny is they basically preferred Morris (who really can’t kick ) ahead of him as a lock down defender and then moved him into a defensive forward role. They are a basket case

Rofl Tigers.

Richmond's indirect merry go round game style exposed his biggest weakness. He looks much better playing direct, straight line football. What's really funny is they basically preferred Morris (who really can't kick ) ahead of him as a lock down defender and then moved him into a defensive forward role. They are a basket case

Could have come in and replaced Chaplin but nope lols.

Delisted by Tigers.

Wins our most courageous award.

Ain’t no need for players like that on their list.

Toothless they are.

I’m waiting for post draft where the tigers take a tough marking HBF saying it’s a hole in their list and are happy to now fill it.

Today’s Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter D.

Great work by Dea. Took his chance and knows what it takes.

2 years is impressive recognition really.

Well done Matthew, well and truly earned it. Hope he gets the #1 jumper.

Love this guy, players with heart are important.

@Darli will be shattered about this news ;)

Already booked in for counselling*

*Overjoy is so a real illness :innocent:

Awesome now we should sign Josh Green as DFA so we can watch Green Dea play at the MCG next year.

…I’ll get my coat.

1 Like

Well done for the lad, hope he has a long career.

Awesome now we should sign Josh Green as DFA so we can watch Green Dea play at the MCG next year.

…I’ll get my coat.

Good Riddance

Must be Stoked he got out of Richmond, the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I still think he needs to try and polish his game playing on smalls, if he can do that he’s a plug and play Baguley replacement.

I still think he needs to try and polish his game playing on smalls, if he can do that he's a plug and play Baguley replacement.

But… but… HeppA?..

I don’t think Dea is a small defender. Lacks the pace/agility to cover the slippery little Kent small fwds Bags can.

Medium defender who can play taller is his go. Was playing CHB for Tigers reserves IIRC

We definitely need to recruit another small defender.