#49 Matt Dea

He may but he is purely a depth player and it will take injuries. Nothing against Dea and I think he’s decent depth.
We were lucky with injuries last year but our list is stronger this year.

Yep. Can this be changed?

Felt he played a very good game in the intraclub.

Just knows how to read the play and get to the right spots.

A really solid footballer, and very happy to have him on the list.

9 Likes

I still really rate him.

I think it’s important to note that last year we had very few injuries to our mid height and rebounding defenders (Gleeson, Baguley, Hurley). I reckon if one of them goes down Dea will be straight in.

1 Like

Lots of talk about how we run our defence. Hurls, Ambrose, Hartley has been run quite often but I think we can fit dea in

He’s tough. He’s got decent disposal. And I reckon he’s attacking out of defence because he can take it on a bit. He’s too good for the vfl. I hope we find room for him

3 Likes

I think if he finds a place in the 22 that it will be at the expense of Bags.

He doesn’t do a lot wrong.

1 Like

How about just, Matt Dea?
Do I really need to see Richmond Wins Premiership every time I look at blitz?
Bleurgh.

1 Like

Still reckon hes next in line for the small defender spot over McNiece. Rate Dea in the air and reckon hes much stronger one on one than McNiece.

Dea

11 Likes

Depends on how they want to go. If they want a more defensive player, then Dea is probably the man. They want more run and rebound, it’s probably McNiece. Either way, he is a very handy guy to call upon when required. If you have 6-8 very good footballers worthy of senior selection missing out every week then your list depth is in a good spot.

The other element is height and marking ability. Dea would be better than McNiece in those areas as well.

What I don’t like is Dea being brought in as an under-sized KP player. He struggles at this, as would most players of his height. If he comes in, it needs to be on small or medium forwards.

2 Likes

I also thought he stood out in the intra club, at least in relation to the expectations on him. Would be very happy with him in the first team. A real competitor

I thought he did really well in the intra club match. Would be rapt to see him in the senior side at some point if he can play like that. Doesn’t do much wrong, ultra reliable.

Got pantsed by watts didn’t he?

1 Like

Surely gets a chance in place of the injured Gleeson now? If so, really needs to grab it with both hands, loved the way he played in 2016 but very so so last year on limited opportunities.

I’ll be glad to see him back in the side. Can play

I think he deserves first crack at Gleeson’s spot.

While he is a still a relatively decent intercept player, I see him as more of a defensive interceptor, whereas Gleeson is more of an offensive type. Gleeson’s biggest strength, imo, is his ability to quickly read the flight and the drop of the ball, so by the time he gets it he already knows what he’s gonna do with it. Dea is a bit more conservative and reactive in this regard.

Dea does bring a better one on one defensive game than Gleeson, but we are still gonna be missing a fair bit of drive out of half back. It will be compounded if Hurley ends up taking the number 1 big guy again.

All good points. Hopefully Saad provides us with the extra drive.

Baguley Hartley Dea
McKenna Hurley Saad

With Ambrose playing in place of Hartley depending on need.

Dea is a good player to have to bring in in such a situation. Gutted for Marty, hoping he recovers well and can get back for the 2nd half of the season.