#49 Matt Dea

Solid as. Gutsy and hard at man and ball. Doesn’t flinch and refuses to be pushed off the foott. Loved some of his marking under pressure last night and his game in general.

1 Like

Well done again Matty Dea.
Solid players like him are invaluable. They can be relied upon to do the job as required by the team.

2 Likes

Good in patches and again gave away some goals to the opposition with mistakes. Would love to know the truth about his wrists because I think that’s what lets his game down. The injury prevents him from doing what he used to be able to do. He is still a good player.

It’s true.

But he’s one of those who are insta drops as soon as someone with a name is available and it sucks.

7 Likes

It does suck. He’s a ripper.

3 Likes

Best 22 every day of the week

2 Likes

Since Bags has gone forward, we’ve had a need for the smaller, hard and uncompromising defender. Dea has filled that role brilliantly, and is one of the reasons that Saad and Conor have been able to provide so much forward drive.

9 Likes

Much much better than McNiece

1 Like

I think Matty and Patty will be competing for a spot, they’re both the same type of tough, reliable defender. In my ideal world they would hold down one spot between them depending on who we play each week.

1 Like

I’m with most people that love him and I actually think he’s a bit better than even most Blitzers think. But (ignoring balance/different types etc) Patty is better than him, Gleeson is better than him and Francis will be an order of magnitude better than him. Going to be a shame to see him inevitably dropped at some point but thrilled to see him going well until then.

4 Likes

Dea doesn’t seem to lose a marking contest.

2 Likes

You can compare Patty and Matty… you can’t compare Matty and Gleeson or Matty and Francis, he won’t be competing with either of those for a spot. It’s kinda like comparing Stringer and Zaka… two totally different roles.

No it’s not

1 Like

Yes it is. They play totally different roles. No matter how good Francis is he’s never going to be a lock down defender. We need one in the side so it’s Patty Ambrose or it’s Matty Dea.

1 Like

Every time I see him Francis has been good one on one.

Just because they bring different strengths to the role (Gleeson a bit more rebound, Dea a bit more hardness) doesn’t mean they aren’t the same/similar enough role. I’m hardly comparing him to Saad/McKenna. You pick a back 6 as a unit and Gleeson is entrenched (more or less), Aaron will be, and Patty is ahead of Dea in the queue.

Yep, which pretty much spells the end of Hartley IMO

Hartley will be why he was always destined to be. Backup for Hooker.

1 Like

Why on earth is Gleeson a lock to come in when fit? Everyone is saying how good it is to have low scores against us, and we want to bring Gleeson straight back in?

Nobody who gets beaten 1 on 1 as much as he does should be anywhere near a lock in the side. It shouldn’t be Gleeson that Dea has to worry about, it should be Redman, Francis and Ridley.

2 Likes

This is 100% spot on.
Gleeson has a lot of work to do to even get back to the level he was at last year. And Ridley, Redman and Francis will probably all be well past that level by the start of next season.

Gleeson was, he now has to earn his way back into the team.