#49 Matt Dea

Thanks for your effort Matty. You were always willing to throw your body into the line of fire for the night Bombers.

Wow just recapping this thread from last November. Easy to say in hindsight but the chat in here was that we used our rookie spot on Dea rather than taking a punt on Sidney Stack.

I know every other club had the chance to do the same thing. But wow wouldn’t we love our time again on that decision if it was the case of one or the other.

1 Like

Should’ve played before McNeice, wish him all the best at VicPol

5 Likes

When Black Kavanagh gives you props you must have done well.

1 Like

Extremely under-rated, hard as a cats head and gave everything, every minute, every game

Thanks for your commitment to this great club, all the best for the future (please don’t arrest me)

2 Likes

Wore the red and black, and helped us to get through that difficult period. He tried his best and you can’t ask for more than that.

Lot of fans of the big DEA, in here.

Wish him all the best.

1 Like

When the club was at its lowest point, he answered the call. For that he will always be remembered and respected. Good luck for the furue and thanks again for the memories and the effort.

2 Likes

Not finished yet either.
Our Rezzies can still go all the way and he’ll be very important in that backline missing Hartley (playing forward).

Still think there is a great chance that he, Myers & Bags get a Flag.

Never dropped his head evan against far more talented opponents.

I was wrapped when Matt was drafted for Richmond but absolutely ecstatic when he got the call from the Bombers.

Matt is and has always been a highly respectable lad and he will do well wherever he goes next

1 Like

Imagine spending a decade in the AFL and then choosing to deal with collingwood supporters every day as your new career.

7 Likes

Good player. I’ll miss him.

2 Likes

Think he was more than just a good bloke.

He was very, very good in 2016, in fact bar Kelly was our best back that year. 21 games, averaging over 17 disposals and 6 marks a game and was one of our most reliable fill-ins. He then didn’t get a look in whatsoever when the gang returned in 2017 and that was pretty much it from there on, only getting a game as depth to the depth. Think he deserved more games as he was at times a quality rebounder and good mark for his size. All the best and thanks for filling in in our darkest times.

3 Likes

Said it when Kelly retired and I’ll say it again now, I hope we keep the number 49 in circulation as a nod to the players who helped us in our hour of need and tried their best each week even though we weren’t a good chance to win.

Think it would be a good thing to have in the locker room for future generations.

3 Likes

MATTY DEA
IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR TEAM

Still have absolutely no idea why we redrafted him.

2 Likes

He’s only 27 isn’t he? Seems too young to give it up

pray for darli!

It’s explained very clearly in a Dr Seuss book.

Marty Dea the retiree, wasn’t a great player you see, but together with Essington he was expected to live in harmony for eternity.

I didn’t say it was one of Dr Seuss’s better books!

This is correct.

1 Like

Absolutely fearless player. Thanks Diesel!