#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

STANTON%20Brent.png

Season Highlights
33 disps (23 kicks 10 hballs), 14 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 23 39-pt loss to Richmond at the MCG (31 Aug 2013)
29 disps (22 kicks 7 hballs), 5 marks and a goal in Rd 16 31-pt win over the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium (14 Jul 2013)
23 disps (18 kicks 5 hballs), 7 marks, 8 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 15 30-pt win over Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium (7 Jul 2013)
30 disps (18 kicks 12 hballs), 7 marks and a goal in Rd 12 43-pt win over Gold Coast at Etihad Stadium (15 Jun 2013)
36 disps (28 kicks 8 hballs), 7 marks and 6 tackles in Rd 10 44-pt loss to Sydney at the SCG (1 Jun 2013)
39 disps (28 kicks 11 hballs), 6 marks, 4 tackles and a goal in Rd 9 29-pt win over Richmond at the MCG (25 May 2013)
31 disps (22 kicks 9 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 5 46-pt win over Collingwood at the MCG (25 Apr 2013)
28 disps (22 kicks 6 hballs), 6 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 4 37-pt win over St Kilda at Etihad Stadium (20 Apr 2013)
33 disps (26 kicks 7 hballs), 11 marks and 2 goals in Rd 2 148-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (6 Apr 2013)
26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs), 5 marks, 6 tackles and a goal in Rd 1 35-pt win over Adelaide at AAMI Stadium (22 Mar 2013)

Solid. I dunno…

Still getting great numbers but didn't seem as influential this year. Works hard offensively giving us linking options.

Yeah he supposedly played injured later in the year but if you cross the line we still expect you to work hard both ways. Gave up the chase too many times for my liking when offensively he'd put in that extra bit.

Assume his disposal efficiency is pretty good but some of his butchering of delivery into the F50 frustrates the hell out of me especially when they aren't under pressure. In the final quarters of the carlton game (running past the 50m line and completely miscuing the long kick to the square) and WC game where a straight forward 20m kick out of the back 50 didn't hit the chest, just stand out and shouldn't happen with someone of his experience.

much-maligned

Does anyone know if he has had or is going to have treatment or an op on his foot? It was obviously a concern for the latter games of the season. Appeared to be struggling to turn quickly and was regularly wincing.

Solid. I dunno...

LOL sadly that pretty much says it all. Started really well, seemed like having BJ in the side was going to allow Stants room to move. Still makes a lot of dumb decisions but I'm always pleased to see him do well.

thought he had a very good season. Looked like he was carrying some kind of issue late in the year. His game against Port on one leg was awesome. We really struggle whenever he is out of the team. Will work all day for the team. His toughness around the ball has gone up another notch.

thought he had a very good season. Looked like he was carrying some kind of issue late in the year. His game against Port on one leg was awesome. We really struggle whenever he is out of the team. Will work all day for the team. His toughness around the ball has gone up another notch.

yep. good summary.

Stants is cronically under rated at times. He along with Jobe have carried the midfield in the past. Stil capable of more than he delivered this year. Would love to see him get off the leash and carve it up in a finals series

1 Like

agreed

His season matched the team's season. I am just going to copy and paste that remark onto most of the reviews. The biggest compliment is that he would get a game at every other club and will be integral to our chances in 2014 and 201 (before we fall into the abyss).

SCANIA

One game not listed was the win against West Coast. His final quarter performance was one of the greatest individual efforts I've ever seen. He looked dead on his feet yet he made it to EVERY contest. None of that soft receiver stuff either, he won the ball.

I was a hater (not a booer, but I was known to yell @ the TV). Last year he converted me. The West Coast game, final quarter, was just out of this world.

His efforts were not only on the ground. He stood up to Finnis when the AFLPA tried to divide the players from the club. He was obviously affected by his loyalty and sense of responsibility, the attributes of an inspirational leader.

Oh yeah his game vs Port was amazing.

Solid player and a solid season.

Sorry to be harsh as I’m a pea heart and shouldn’t use these words but his efforts and his form when the team is down, needing it’s senior players to stand up is just not good enough. It’s Jared Brennan esque to be blunt.

Maybe I’m expecting too much but the fact he shows such good form when the team is up and running I just want him to be more consistent in his efforts.

By all means I’m no Stanton basher or hater, I like Stanton.

I think the problem Stallion is that our poor form often coincides with Stanton being injured and hence it’s hard for him in those games to lift. He seems to play injured a lot (I’m sure many players do) but to me he doesn’t handle it well because so much of his good play relies on being able to outrun his opponent which he is less able to do when playing with a niggle.

Smokes more in the second half of the year, hence our drop offs.

In a year from hell for the club,I think when the team started to drop off,Stants form drop stood out more as he was carrying an injury.

He has improved heaps under Hird & co,he busts his ■■■■ for the team…