#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Was actually playing his best footy when this saga unfolded.

Can actually kick for goal too !

He's a hero this man

He’s a pillar of strength and an ornament for the game.

David Schwarz just went with “much maligned” on SEN.

Drink.

David Schwarz just went with "much maligned" on SEN.

Drink.

Schwarz face is much maligned.

David Schwarz just went with "much maligned" on SEN.

Drink.

He’d know

I am pretty quiet at the Footy unless I drink too much, but Mrs Fox can be a tad loud. At Etihad we had an “Essendon supporter” sitting next to me, who was an avid Stanton hater. Everything that went wrong for the Bombers was on Stanton, and this jerk was full of bile and made the footy uncomfortable.

Most of the time, I just tuned out, but after weeks of this Mrs Fox leaned across, grabbed the Jerk by his Members scarf and told him to shut the fark up or she would hypnotize him. She clapped her hands, I quaked like a duck and the Jerk left never to be seen again.

She is a Hypnotherapist and I do as I am told.

Run Forrest run.

I am pretty quiet at the Footy unless I drink too much, but Mrs Fox can be a tad loud. At Etihad we had an "Essendon supporter" sitting next to me, who was an avid Stanton hater. Everything that went wrong for the Bombers was on Stanton, and this jerk was full of bile and made the footy uncomfortable.

Most of the time, I just tuned out, but after weeks of this Mrs Fox leaned across, grabbed the Jerk by his Members scarf and told him to shut the fark up or she would hypnotize him. She clapped her hands, I quaked like a duck and the Jerk left never to be seen again.

Um, could you please give Joey her number?

Just listened to Brent on 3aw yesterday.
What a champ. Bleeds red & black.
If anyone did boo him all those years ago, boo to you.

Agree. Great Essendon person.
Lots of love for Stants.

I like him in the midfield, but would love him off half-back, similar to what Boyd does for the Doggies.

I like him in the midfield, but would love him off half-back, similar to what Boyd does for the Doggies.

Great call, would love to see him play off a half back. Is an experience player who more often than not makes the right decision. Will be helpful and a leader for the small/medium defenders in McKenna, Tipungwiti and Ambrose if Kelly doesn’t play in 2017.

IIRC Stants was the one who stood up to Finnis when Finnis was AFLPA.

I am pretty quiet at the Footy unless I drink too much, but Mrs Fox can be a tad loud. At Etihad we had an "Essendon supporter" sitting next to me, who was an avid Stanton hater. Everything that went wrong for the Bombers was on Stanton, and this jerk was full of bile and made the footy uncomfortable.

You are a strange unit.
I like it.

Worth posting here…

Link…

Year off to help extend careers of banned Bombers: Stanton
Ben Guthrie January 19, 2017 2:46 PM

ESSENDON veteran Brent Stanton believes the year he and his fellow suspended Bomber teammates spent out of the game will assist in extending their careers.

Describing the 12-month WADA-imposed suspension as the toughest thing he has faced in his life, Stanton said his time on the sidelines made him realise how much he appreciates playing for the Bombers.

“We tried to make this (experience) into a positive and most of the players have found out a lot about themselves,” Stanton said in an interview on SEN.

"There’s not too many opportunities in your career where you can step away from something that you love and reflect on what you’ve done over the past 12 years, five years or for however long you’ve been playing.

“That’s enlightened the players a lot on how to get the best out of themselves for however long their career is.”

While many teammates took the opportunity to travel overseas, Stanton’s role as a father to two young children took priority.

The 30-year-old still managed to visit places like Broome and he also revealed he took a keen interest in how the club was faring during his time away.

“I travelled with the team interstate a few times and went and watched as a spectator,” Stanton said.

"It was an interesting way to see football, especially away from your comfort zone at Etihad Stadium. Walking to the ground, I don’t think I’ve done that for 13 years.

“So it was a great experience in those terms and to feel the game from a spectator’s point of view.”

Stanton said he received a lot of support from Essendon fans once the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s verdict to ban the 34 past and present Essendon players for the 2016 season was handed down.

The length of the saga, which first came to light after investigations into the club’s ill-fated supplements program in 2012, was mentally draining for Stanton.

“The first six weeks after we were suspended was the toughest time,” Stanton said.

"You didn’t want to do anything. You didn’t want to go anywhere.

“But there’s been a lot of support and it was more so, ‘We hope you’re back next year’ and ‘we feel for what you’ve been through.’”

Stanton said he won’t feature just as a midfielder in 2017 and he expects to have stints at half-forward or half-back as he adapts to the interchange cap rotation.

Stanton, who will be looking to add to his 248 games in his 13th season, said the club’s fitness staff had been careful in managing the programs of the returning Bombers.

“Throughout the year (2016) we were probably fit enough, but the instant decisions you have to make in changing direction, your body’s not used to that (movement),” Stanton said.

“At the end of the day the programs are that good that we should be able to come back in and play at a high level. The training is so specific these days that I can’t see too many issues.”

An absolute champion. He gets injuries occasionally, but not very often. I hope he has an injury-free year, because if he does, with some really good on-ball support around him, he will tear the opposition apart.

He’s not good off half back. Not tight enough, and not quick enough to get his kick away. He’s a classical wing player who runs the full length of the ground all day in both directions, presenting options and kicking goals when he goes forward.

I remember hearing Jack Dyer give 3 votes to Tony Elshaugh one day and say, He’s a receiver, but he’s about the best in the business. That’s Brent Stanton.

Bloke has to many knockers. Its like a plague in peoples minds…one bloke saw him have a few clangers and now he is worse than kyle hardingham. He is the 3rd highest possession winner ever to pull on a efc jumper…that alone deserves respect. Cant wait to see him back out there…good bloke too

Absolute class act and come a long way as an interviewee. Check out the full interview on SEN (Rohan C asking the big questions). Wrapped that he’s back.

Bloke has to many knockers. Its like a plague in peoples minds...one bloke saw him have a few clangers and now he is worse than kyle hardingham. He is the 3rd highest possession winner ever to pull on a efc jumper...that alone deserves respect. Cant wait to see him back out there...good bloke too

Who are the first two out of interest? I’ve got no idea where to find this stat.

An absolute champion. He gets injuries occasionally, but not very often. I hope he has an injury-free year, because if he does, with some really good on-ball support around him, he will tear the opposition apart.

He does better than that. He’s missed only about 8 games in ten years.