#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Also, IIRC, he was the one who stood up to Finnis when he was at AFLPA spouting AFL Commission line.

Probably our best media performer I’m always confident listening to him.

An absolute pleasure witnessing his career, A bomber for life and club legend, Thank you Brent for everything but your job ain’t done yet you deserve a flag so go get it.

Go Bombers.

1 Like
Bloke has to many knockers. Its like a plague in peoples minds...one bloke saw him have a few clangers and now he is worse than kyle hardingham. He is the 3rd highest possession winner ever to pull on a efc jumper...that alone deserves respect. Cant wait to see him back out there...good bloke too
Who are the first two out of interest? I've got no idea where to find this stat.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/essendon.html

Tim Watson and Dustin Fletcher are ahead of him. Very likely there are earlier players missed near/at the top of the ladder (e.g. King Richard, who has a 72 game lead on Stants).

Jobe set to move into at least fifth place this year, passing Hird, TD, and Misiti. Needs 469 to equal Foulds in fourth spot.

I am pretty quiet at the Footy unless I drink too much, but Mrs Fox can be a tad loud. At Etihad we had an "Essendon supporter" sitting next to me, who was an avid Stanton hater. Everything that went wrong for the Bombers was on Stanton, and this jerk was full of bile and made the footy uncomfortable.

Most of the time, I just tuned out, but after weeks of this Mrs Fox leaned across, grabbed the Jerk by his Members scarf and told him to shut the fark up or she would hypnotize him. She clapped her hands, I quaked like a duck and the Jerk left never to be seen again.

She is a Hypnotherapist and I do as I am told.

Nth wife, too many secrets BF, never consent to be hypnotised, or it might result in a transition to wife n+1.

My wife was a mind reader. was my wife.

Stants is a legend.
But I did notice that from that SEN interview, the EFC ( wanting to move on) focused on the now. In the article on the AFL web site, it focused on the saga. So much about the AFL wanting to move on… they want to keep the hate alive.

Also, IIRC, he was the one who stood up to Finnis when he was at AFLPA spouting AFL Commission line.

Never heard that before. Pretty big deal if so. Any source?

Stants is a legend. But I did notice that from that SEN interview, the EFC ( wanting to move on) focused on the now. In the article on the AFL web site, it focused on the saga. So much about the AFL wanting to move on... they want to keep the hate alive.
Stants is a legend. But I did notice that from that SEN interview, the EFC ( wanting to move on) focused on the now. In the article on the AFL web site, it focused on the saga. So much about the AFL wanting to move on... they want to keep the hate alive.
If the AFL were serious about moving on as they are about the mantra of moving on - the instructed media would lay off and they seem to be warming up again for more in 2017. Another kick in the guts for the Hird family and the Essendon 34 men.

Thoughts on Stants game coming more off halfback?

Looks a good move, his tank will be valuable in the second half of games when he can pinch hit through the midfield, but off HBF looked pretty composed.

1 Like

Liked him there

He was awesome. he usually is. hes less maligned these days and more just ignored. hes a champion

Was our bog in the 1st qtr. Hasn’t missed a beat.

Topped our metres gained. Contested well and just oozed composure down back.

Yep, thats his spot in the team sorted.

Deadset love this bloke. Wonderful to see him back on the field.

2 Likes

Looked great as always, running until the end. Composed, good decisions.

Only knock would be overhead. At least three occasions he went for chest marks instead of overhead, I know as an opposition coach I would be looking to exploit this. Hopefully just a bit rusty on the return to the game

Will play another 3 years!!!

Thought he did really well down back, showed a lot of courage, composure and leadership, especially early on.

Interesting to see how our back line ends up looking, as Stanton clearly belongs on the field somewhere and the back line seems to be where he will start. We currently have about 8-9 players locked in to start in the backline…

Older: Kelly, Goddard, Stanton, Baguley,

Taller: Hurley, Hartly, Ambrose

Exciting/Developing: McG, Gleeson

Deserves almost none of the criticism he receives. Lock for me.

On yesterdays performance I’d say there are going to be a number of posts in the best 22 thread amending teams to include Stanton. Humphrey just seems to keep quietly delivering.

HBF line is easy for experienced players who read the game well.

I still wouldn’t play him there to start, Kelly has his measure in terms of one on one defending but if Stants playing off a wing and rolling back to cover Kelly’s man for example or just being an extra in defence it should work out well.

Just great to see him back out and amongst it.