#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

One of the few that stood up both times in the horrible elimination final thrashings in 2009 and 2011. A great Essendon warrior and has a few more pages left in the career still to come.

4 Likes

Half-back and wings from what I saw. Very composed and I think he’s enjoying not having the midfield weight on his shoulders.

Was a liability in the 2014 final though

1 Like

Hardly a liabilty. Plenty worse in that game. Funny how he polarises.

His knockers can’t claim he made a single clanger in 2016.

was pretty good on the efc podcast thingo.

You had me at ‘knockers’

6 Likes

Love this bloke! Congratulations on 250. Not many AFL players ever get to this stage, a huge achievement.

4 Likes

He will become the 14th player to play 250 games for our great club :grinning:

7 Likes

Only the Cats (15) will have more 250 game players. (Tigers and Hawks both 13).

1 Like

Hes an absolute champion of the club and deserves to be celebrated far more than he is. hope he plays to 300 games if his body holds up.

4 Likes

Dustin Fletcher - 400

Simon Madden - 378

■■■■ Reynolds - 320

Tim Watson - 307

Garry Foulds - 300

Terry Daniher - 294

Bill Hutchison - 290

Matthew Lloyd - 270

Scott Lucas - 270

Don McKenzie - 266

Ken Fletcher - 264

Jack Clarke - 263

James Hird - 253

Brent Stanton 250

Seriously that is an impressive list and impressive effort by Stants. All credit to him and he deserves all the accolades playing during an era that was not our finest, yet continuing with aplomb.

Well done and best of luck to him for Saturday. I hope we salute!

18 Likes

Great achievement, just like the number of times he has been top 5 in the best and fairest.

1 Like

I’m really happy for him.

All about Stants, obviously, but Kelly and BJ have 300 coming up soon too. Milestones! Milestones!

1 Like

Much admired these days, and with good reason, he has had a great career.

1 Like

Sorry mate agree with GuzzLG on this one, he was pretty bad in the 2014 elimination final, lacked awareness. I actually like him off half back now coz he punches the ball low and flat. Always helps when changing direction.

Could conceivably reach no.4 on that list if he plays for the next 3 seasons!

Should be playing his 270th this week. ■■■■■■.

11 Likes

As I said - strongly disagree he was a liability in the North final. Probably got run down in a tackle or kicked into the man on the mark - that’s all supporters take from the game and confirm their own bias against the bloke.

I mentioned the two losing finals where Stanton was our best player - like clockwork someone comes in with the ‘but he had a stinker in this other game…’ (he didn’t by the way - 20 touches and 6 tackles --cue stats are irrelevant argument). Why even the need to mention that unprompted ? Only to undermine the bloke - which has been happening for a decade and is pretty ordinary for a champion clubman and damn good footballer. Needs to be called out.

9 Likes