#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

He is building, still has composure.

1 Like

I think that’s one of if not the worst game I’ve seen Brent play. He certainly turned it over several times which resulted in a collingwood score luckily most of them turned into behinds

Just isn’t hard enough at the contest doesn’t lay enough tackles and not the most damaging user of the ball. If Stants had some leg speed he’d stick a few more but he’s not and that’s why he has to gut run

In past seasons the above was okay as he would get 25+ touches game and set up numerous inside 50 entries but when he’s only getting the ball less than half that amount his deficiencies greatly show.

Still one of my favorite and hardest working players in the team but has to clean up his game if he wants to maintain his spot

1 Like

I’d never thought I’d see the day I’d be seeing Stants get 11 touches a game, one of my favourite player can barely get a kick. It’s like he was told pre-season that he won’t be having much midfield time and now he looks lost.

I’m not sure if the year out has burnt out his passion, on all the interviews last year he looked pretty happy with his golfing business and not fussed about returning to football. Perhaps the driving passion just isn’t there, and that’s OK but if he’s in the team and not playing midfield Worsfold needs to find a proper role for him to make use of his assets.

1 Like

Can anyone explain what role he’s playing? I barely noticed him

1 Like

supposed to be a half back flanker and a QB of sorts behind play, setting up play etc.
prob is he’s not quicker to get to where he’s needed (Zach, for example, is doing so repeatedly), and he doesn’t have the speed to take the game on when he does get the ball.

Same knock I’ve had on him all year. His spot is EXACTLY the sort of spot we should be using to blood a kid IMO.

3 Likes

Forget “his role” all players have a role to play, its round 5 and he simply isn’t up to it! No more sugar coating, we have players in the VFL that offer more and are younger.

He got fark-all touches, but did he get his a*se kicked? I honestly don’t know.

Or was he on his own and failed to create.

I’m a big Stanton fan but he’s bobbing up and down on the spot at the moment. Needs a week off.

Oh geez. Cut him a break. Hes not going to turn into a contested beast this late in his career. Not the right game for him

I agree with you. I am as staunch a defender of Stanton as they come, but his influence and link up play appear to have dissolved. He usually has a magnetism for the ball - but this also has declined - I’m not sure if it is the change of position or the game style - but he needs to find a niche pretty quickly to evolve with this team.

1 Like

I’m one of his biggest fans, but he does look a bit off it. That doesn’t mean he won’t work his way back into form - and he did show his smarts a few times. Whether that’s enough to keep him in the team I don’t know.

2 Likes

We saw today, the younger of the returners just starting to find their feet & start to look their old selves again after 5 weeks, it would stand to reason that the eldest of them will take a few weeks longer to get the match fitness back. There’s nothing to say until after half way on Stants.

1 Like

I think Stanton has to be dropped. And given the chance in the VFL to fight for a return in his best position, not the current role he’s playing.

3 Likes

Because of any one of Stanton, Bags and Jobe I’m not sure we’ve actually fielded a “Best 22” side all year.

1 Like

Jobe?? Wow, victim of his lofty standards if I’ve ever seen it. Extremely harsh

3 Likes

He clearly isn’t best 22. Its time to move on and play a kid.

3 Likes

Sad to see him so unproductive for the team.

In years gone by was always in our top ball winners, not doing so and no pace so not really being an impact player or creating much pressure on opposition either.

Can’t see it turning around at this stage.

7th defender off the bench/wing he is playing. Time for McKenna to take over that position.

2 Likes

No doubt Stants is struggling. The call for him to be dropped is not unreasonable nor unwarranted. I can’t help but think though that if he’s dropped then it will be damn tough for him to get back. Then I remember him travelling the length and breadth of the country to watch games in the gap year. I remember how he backed himself and the club for a two year deal. And dammit I’m just not ready to give up on him. Surely if we can carry Francis for three quarters we can give Stants one more game to find some form.

13 Likes

This is the perfect week to “rest” him.

2 Likes