#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

His biggest strength has always been hus running capacity. Playing back means that is gone. Chuck him on the wing and let him destroy teams again.

The aim for this year IMHO should be for Stanton, Kelly, Jobey and any of the other oldies who look like they might have any physical issues to play 16-20.
Kids to get chances when they’re rested.

1 Like

Surely Stanton’s last year.

I would love to see Walla in the #5 next year.

Too soon?

1 Like

Stanton is struggling big time - He offers little to the team, unless he is obtaining possessions - He can’t put enough pressure on as a forward, can’t lock down in defence.

1 Like

Looked really proppy in the last qtr. Definitely needs a rest.

Definitely thought he did something or copped a knock. He struggled for a few minutes on the wing just guarding space

Nah, he’s doing Rioli’s number a fine service.

1 Like

Love Stants and great respect for him, deserves to be given more time. Bleeds Red and Black.

Once dropped, probably wont be back.

SAGA has robbed a great servant of a decent send off.

1 Like

I think Stants is at his best when he has to be the main man. Running all day, and destroying his opponent in last quarter. E.g. Second half of 2015, when there was no Jobe, Myers, Colyer etc.

For years he and Jobe carried the midfield. But now, instead of having a couple of gun mids, teams have maybe 10 people rotating through the centre (and Stants doesn’t appear to be one of them). I’m not sure he’s cut out for the kind of role.

I think the best spot for him is still the wing, or if not, make him a gut-running HFF (which is what Langford’s been doing). He’s not that old, and still has something to offer if we are going to make finals.

Also I think Zaka is suffering the same thing - did well as #1 last year (until tagged), struggling to find a place as #9 mid.

Personally I would be giving Stanton a go on the wing and dropping Zaka for a small defender. If Stanton is cooked in that position also then he can be dropped. I am a fan of Zaka however and we really need him firing as he can be a weapon, but he needs to know his position isnt just guaranteed.

I am not buying the Stants is cooked at the moment. I watched him closely and he seemed to not be coming to terms with his new role as yet. He is still the 2nd fittest man at the club but has had the same role for over a decade. On form with new role his place is questionable however. These are the situations I hate as he never should of been out of the game 12 months…still makes me angry.

6 Likes

Regardless of role he looks very flat footed and his reaction times are very slow.

Note role related in my view.

Looks like he is struggling to adjust to the tempo the game is now played at.

2 Likes

Meh. I ain’t worried. At least not yet. If he’s only getting 11 touches in 5 game’s time then I might start to worry.

Another question is: who has been been playing on?

e.g. Ambrose is average 12 disposals and we say he’s dominating because of who he’s keeping quiet.

Stants has been averaging 16 disposals, but what about his opponents?

Does anyone know?

Its a good point.

I wasn’t following him closely on Tuesday, but my impression was that he was midfield/wing more than he’d previously been. But could easily be wrong. Apart from Fasolo and Elliott, Collingwood’s forwards pretty much failed to raise a whimper. I assumed that was all (on the small side) due to McGrath and McNeice.

I do think Stanton could do with a run in the VFL, in his preferred spot. Hasn’t hurt Hocking or Howlett. Establish if he can play his best role. If he can’t do that, then consider if he’s still good enough to play AFL in a different role. If he can, consider if he’s better at that role in the AFL than whoever is currently doing it.

Much maligned by Woosha

The game style against Melbourne and stadium doesn’t suit him. fair ommision.

Can’t help wonder how many more games he will play…my guess is perhaps not too many

Ouch that he’s listed as “omitted” while the others are “rested” - sends a message

He will be back real soon