#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

I hope he’s played in his best position in the VFL, and given a chance to show if he still has it or not.

Form must come before sentiment. He isn’t producing like he should, so someone else should come in for him.I want it tough for him or anyone else to get into the team, There is no point in having team depth. if it isn’t used. Let him answer the best way he knows how, by having an impact when he plays. Right now he is ineffectual, needs to make way for someone else.

You’re not wrong. Here’s his heatmap (left = def, right = fwd).

Looks like the wing, although it could be distorted due to the low possession count.

1 Like

Ok, yep I definitely was right then. Where do you get the heat maps from?

AFL Live App (via screen shot and convert to jpg)

He’ll find it hard to get back in imo

6 Likes

Close to goat se.

I’ve always been a fan of Stanton, always stuck up for him on here and at games, and always loved that he kept getting picked as i felt he was clearly best 22 - even if he wasn’t it wasn’t his fault for being picked each week.
I think his problem is that he has been overtaken by Zerret as our chief playmaker, which is great for the club, and his roles fwd or back are those that are often used to blood new players (McKenna, McGrath, Langford, Laverde, Redman, McNeice, etc).
Right now he is also in the same pool as Hocking & Howlett & Myers so he might struggle to come back in and cement his place.
I think his best bet though is if Colyer or more likely Zaharakis fall out of favour, in which case we will want Stanton’s run and delivery back in the midfield.
In any case i think he will be back sooner rather than later, and i feel the club has turned a corner and that we finally have some better options, so its a bit sad but really good for our future.

3 Likes

He’s probably not listed as rested so he can be the emergency for the day. If he’s not needed he will rest probably in the coaches box or involved in some way.
I’m pleased we are resting a few and bringing in some fresh legs. We have close to our quickest team this week.

2 Likes

Good point. He’s not listed in the VFL squad of millions.

The poor fark from Werribee that was being groomed to mind B Stanton this weekend will be breathing a huge sigh of relief. Imagine being told on Thursday night you had that job then realising you’re about to cover more ground in one afternoon than you would normally do in 4x weeks. You’d spew up in anticipation.

3 Likes

This is very sensible, that the resting player should be the emergency and not waste possibly the VFL`s best player. They should do it most weeks.

Can someone elaborate on the whole smoking running gag? Was he caught with a dart at some stage?

Yep. Didn’t mind the odd dart early doors. Not sure if it’s still a thing these days though.

Yep, still does.
And he’s not the only one.

But he is the fittest one.

1 Like

I think unlikely to be in the seniors this week. Named as ruck rover in the VFL squad.

One for the historians… when was the last time Brent Stanton played VFL??

I think he played a couple of games in the 2s in 2005! (and 7 games in his first year - 2004)

Too good to miss more than one week

Is this it for Stants? Can’t see him playing next year.