#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Legit there would be 50,000+ At Etihad if Essendon made the VFL Grand Final

9 Likes

Stanton would fit in well this week. Would offer more than Colyer, Myers and Kelly at the moment. Extra mid runner would be good.

1 Like

I went to a luncheon a couple weeks back where Bomber was a guest speaker. All off the cuff stuff and he didn’t have much planned. Now without going into too much detail about what he said with regards to the SAGA and his comments on the AFL, he did mention his disgust about the push from the AFL and in fact the club to turn these players over as fast as possible and lead with the impression that’s why they are dwindling in the two’s. I have held this back as i am still of the impression they’re in the two’s due to form but i am also of the impression bomber is actually an honest man. Mainly speaking about Stanton, Howlett and Watson (it was the week Watson was dropped for Bird). I don’t read into to much but thought i’d share as it will be interesting given Stants form and whether or not he gets a send off game. Or maybe i completely mis interrupted what Bomber said as there was an open bar over lunch.

I got a photo with the legend himself too, good speaker and great afternoon.

2 Likes

Until the last month, Stanton’s form has been pretty awful (versus expectations). I don’t see any conspiracy, especially since everyone agrees it’s quite easy to tip over the line on the number of slow midfielders you can carry.

1 Like

I don’t see any favouritism being given to the returnees. Maybe the first six weeks, but i still see Colyer and Myers as important to the structure.

Or prejudice against them. The game has moved past the likes of Stanton, Hocking and Howlett.

1 Like

Woosha probably booed stants at subiaco.

2 Likes

I love Stants. I got the #5 on my back because of him. I probably love him more because he needed some love, I didn’t pick him for being the best.
It’s been a long ride, in fact my first post was sticking up for him (I signed up to defend him), and I still think he has a lot to offer, and while he hasn’t seen too much senior time this year if we play finals he could get a gig.
I’m definitely going on Saturday now, could be his send off.

4 Likes

You show your age, I got number 5 on my jumper for Gary Parkes !

Pffft…David Shaw…back-pocket and second rover in two premiership sides.

And ruled when we were penalised for salary cap breaches.

2 Likes

Wait what?

He’s not even playing VFL this week.

(OK, no one is playing VFL this week.)

3 Likes

I thought he might get a chance this week as his form has been pretty good recently.

1 Like

Yep, particularly given the like for like replacement is a backline spot where he did a lot of work pre-season.

Unsurprisingly, Stanton’s pick up in form has coincided with him being allowed out of the backline…

12 Likes

I still think there is a role for him in our midfield working his ■■■■ off end to end providing an option, particularly with sides putting more time into Zerret.

3 Likes

Tend to agree with this one. But his positive ability to run (JOG) all day is out weighed by his pace. I am a big stants fan, but i don’t think he fits in this team in the current game style. I’m not confident on finals, thinking we will drop FC and Crows the following week. So hey, might get to see him in the seniors one last time. Then back to VFL to kill it in finals.

Question for @theDJR - We know stants is a midfield tank. Can he hold a VFL full time midfield role next year. Excluding the fact he probably just wants to play golf.

He’s not fast, even at VFL level. But it’s hard to think he couldn’t run them into the ground at VFL level.

He’s lost whatever agility and acceleration he did have. You need both at half back. Outside mid ,straightline running into space is his go. Smaller VFL grounds dont help that though.

I also suspect he’s one of several returnees who need a second preseason - basically all of the midfield types, none have really hit their straps (which is why I’m not totally in the Jobe Is Cooked camp) - to get back up to speed . But I dont think he’ll get that chance. He could sign off with a major say in the VFL finals though.

2 Likes

Nothing would surprise me at all after what has taken place between the AFL, the EFC and ASADA. Nothing!

His biggest weapon has always been his running capacity. He couldn’t use that in the backline. I think had he been given a chance in the midfield as in previous years he’d have had a very different season.

4 Likes

I’d love to see him come in this week and remind us of what he is capable of as the number 1 link man.

Add to that bird as genuine blue collar role player in the middle.

Is it crazy to think these 2 could transform our midfield in combination with the return of Zerret in a fortnight

4 Likes