#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Stanton kicking goals in the droopy sash is what dreams are made of.

It was horrible at the time, but the droopy sash era is actually so good to reminisce about.

1 Like

Stants.

2 Likes

:heart:

2 Likes

Not unexpected, or incorrect, but still sucks.

Loved watching you play Stants. Always gave your all. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Whatever happened to Mink?

3 Likes

I’m assuming he will present Josh Kelly with his guernsey?

1 Like

Loved the way Stants went about it, just ran and ran and ran, so many times in last quarters was the only guy still presenting as an option.

With all these great Essendon people retiring this year I might have to go to the Crichton to say goodbye…but its not on a weekend and seems expensive.

5 Likes

This.

5 Likes

I hope that with the extra time to dedicate to his Golf, that he can make his way to the Pro circuit, earn a nice living trotting around the Worlds best courses and maybe snagging a few tournament win’s.

Thankyou Brent, for all your efforts, & your unstinting dedication & loyalty to our club…

You were, are, & always will be, a Champion of Essendon.

7 Likes

Well done, a good and honest servant of the club.

Bleeds Red and Black, no higher honor.

2 Likes

Has everyone forgotten that Parish and Francis were drafted into 3 and 10? That NOB got elevated to #10? etc etc

1 Like

Nor would they know that Reynolds and Coleman wore 3 and 10. Numbers 1 and 2 on the Champions of Essendon.

I remember when Melbourne made a big fuss of giving Jack Watts John Lord’s old number. He was a so-so bald CHF from the 60’s. Very underwhelming.

3 Likes

Will go down as a club great

Onya Stants!

Such a great guy is Stants… Gave his all for the club. Very sad to see him go - it won’t be the same without him.

Stants- the quiet achiever.

1 Like

Long went from 4 to 13

1 Like

Very very quiet and reserved person, a great person as well

1 Like

Thanks for everything… You are truely an Essendon person…Best of luck for next chapter of your life

1 Like

You don’t measure the worth of a bloke like Stants purely on his playing ability. You could say he was a good player who never quite became the great player we all hoped he would become.
But i will remember him as a loyal, heart and soul clubman who gave his all incredibly consistently. As Xav said, 255 games puts him in the elite status, not just of our club, but of the whole competition.
As for #5, it should be saved for people like Stants and Hirdy whose dedication and contribution is beyond what you expect. It is not just about playing ability.
I hope McGrath and Raz, Connor and all the young guys, earn that recognition, but they haven’t yet. For mine, Zac Merret is the only one who currently might be worthy.

Starts, you are a legend of the club. Well done and thanks.

11 Likes