#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Does anyone know if he played with an injury? And if so, was that injury cause by his busting his ■■■■ for the team?

I suppose a busted ■■■■ would explain all those misdirected kicks we are not allowed to talk about in polite company.

Consistently pretty damn good for us. Obviously mad injury problems late in the season. Just need more players to step up around him.

Does anyone know if he played with an injury? And if so, was that injury cause by his busting his ■■■■ for the team?

I suppose a busted ■■■■ would explain all those misdirected kicks we are not allowed to talk about in polite company.

Hahaha,ok,busting his ■■■■ was the wrong way to describe his efforts,but his work rate can't be questioned,he pushes himself to alot more contests than others,his skills can still be iffy but pressure does that to all players..
As for improving,can still remember under Knights his decision making & awareness were terrible,just my opinion but I think he's improved these two facets,as for an injury,from what we all saw he definately wasn't 100%..
Each to their own I guess..

We are still one gun mid away from being a contender.

This Hypothetical mid allows Stanton to roam free every week and in turn look like 'Good Stanton' on a consistent basis.

Hairline too pointy.

Statnton is a good one, would get a game at most clubs!

when you get the ball 30+ times a week, you are forgiven if you miss a few targets. It certainly isn't a consistent thing. For those that think Stanton can't handle a tag just watch his game against Crowley (the best tagger in the game)

Still calls for the handball receive from a teammate mark, without any plan as to what he is going to do with it. Trouble ensues. This is what I ridicule Cotchin for.

But more positively, tries his heart out.

Solid player and a solid season.
Sorry to be harsh as I'm a pea heart and shouldn't use these words but his efforts and his form when the team is down, needing it's senior players to stand up is just not good enough. It's Jared Brennan esque to be blunt.
Maybe I'm expecting too much but the fact he shows such good form when the team is up and running I just want him to be more consistent in his efforts.

I don't get why they continue to play through him so much. There's a difference between getting your own ball and disposing of it, compared to giving the ball to him at every oppotunity no matter how bad a situation it puts himself and the team in.

I had to chuckle a few times, when Goddard, who was recruited to deliver the ball, handed it off to Stanton in a worse position.

He can win enough of the ball by himself, so it just doesn't make sense to me, why they use him as a deliver of the ball, when he is so hit and miss with his disposal (granted half the team is in the same boat).

Was clearly injured from the Port game onwards, and like many other players, should have been given time to get over said injury, as surely by now the coaches should have realised that playing injured players DOES NOT WORK.

Love his workrate, his gut running and the fact that he is continually getting into position to influence a contest. My one concern is that due to his efforts his kicking is compromised by fatigue. If he could only eradicate his up and under kicks that go forty meters up and thirty meters in length. It makes me wince as I can imagine someone getting crunched waiting for the ball. Apart from this, I love the way Stants goes about his work.

When we were flying so was he.

Early in the year he seemed much more inclined to go in for the heavy stuff as well which was new.

Late season injury really hampered him. Will be back and in AA contention again next year.

Bloke on BF claims he wants to leave. I reckon it's utter bullcrap.

Bloke on BF claims he wants to leave. I reckon it's utter bullcrap.

So he went through years of the supporters hating him, he turns the supporters around, then wants to leave?

I reckon you're right

This Hypothetical mid allows Stanton to roam free every week and in turn look like 'Good Stanton' on a consistent basis.

At the risk of being textually gang raped, Dal Santo and Stanton through the midfield, if it doesn't cost much I'm for it.

Remember it being said when we got Goddard it would do the same thing. 

As others have said, solid year. Tries his guts out. His tackling and inside game improved. Still makes silly decisions. However, he gets the ball enough and generally uses it well, that those silly decisions are less than people tend to acknowledge. Gesticulates too much, but really important player and likeable character. 

Will be a contender for the Chrichton medal.

Still calls for the handball receive from a teammate mark, without any plan as to what he is going to do with it. Trouble ensues. This is what I ridicule Cotchin for.

Couldn't agree more....add to this his turnover rate and at 27 I'm not sure he is going to improve.....he definitely has the most trade value for us move him to GWS and get Adams and a 2nd round pick..........also no one ever suggests that he doesn't run hard or try he just has deficiencies as a player that at his age and experience level are probably not going to get better

Couldn't agree more....add to this his turnover rate and at 27 I'm not sure he is going to improve.....he definitely has the most trade value for us move him to GWS and get Adams and a 2nd round pick..........also no one ever suggests that he doesn't run hard or try he just has deficiencies as a player that at his age and experience level are probably not going to get better

You have got to be kidding me.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Solid player and a solid season.
Sorry to be harsh as I'm a pea heart and shouldn't use these words but his efforts and his form when the team is down, needing it's senior players to stand up is just not good enough. It's Jared Brennan esque to be blunt.
Maybe I'm expecting too much but the fact he shows such good form when the team is up and running I just want him to be more consistent in his efforts.

I agree with this.

Good player, can be very very good at times. Played one game that inspired me (I think he played injured the second half or something) but I don't think he did enough when jobe was out. Melksham stood right up, but I didn't feel like Stanton did.

That AFLPA stuff is impressive off field if true.