#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Stants in is crazy talk. He does not have the run and endurance any more. I’d give Mutch a game before him.

1 Like

What are his numbers in his last 3 games of VFL, disposals and goals?

Collingwood 28 and 2.0
Antarctica 15 and 1.0 (was really good early)
Nth Ballarat 38 and 2.0

Season average: 22 and 0.5 goals (i.e. he’s kicked all of his goals in the last three games, and averaged 27 instead of 20 disposals)

His problem is he needs to replace a slowpoke. He can’t be an extra one.

1 Like

The rise of Zerret is what killed Stanton’s career. He wasn’t BAD in those first few weeks, he just had absolutely no role.

Stants has got one more 30+ game in the tank. Bring him in.

Howlett.

As opposed to a few of the returning players he does not seem to have lost depth in his kicking.

1 Like

Coaches killed him by playing him out of position. He is a midfielder plain and simple. Didn’t help his cause by poor kicking either

1 Like

Whilst this is true in one sense, if they didn’t like what he added to the midfield mix then they actually tried to save him by playing him in another role and seeing if he could switch to it. Better than simply putting a line through his name and playing him in the VFL all year.

5 Likes

I’ve not seen the last few VFL matches, but I find it hard to believe if he’s rediscovered some form that he isn’t a better option than Howlett.

5 Likes

Wonder if he will get a send off game?

Unfortunately the speed of the game passed him by 2 years ago. One of my favourite players too.

2 Likes

You don’t waste spots in a grand final team

3 Likes

2 years ago??

1 Like

I would take Benny Howlett any day of the week.

Tackles, kicks goals, gets a hard ball and has better decision making skills.
Sorry but times up for Stants.
Been a true Bomber tho.

1 Like

Hardly; 2015 was just about his best and most consistent year.

2 Likes

Retiring today

Ah, I’ll miss Stants.

A very good player, and a delight to watch gut run from minute 1 until the final siren.

9 Likes

Even though it was inevitable, still sad. Thanks Stants,

He was our best midfielder for fkn years. Tireless worker and severely underrated by many for years. Thanks for everything stants

28 Likes

Career Average:

Howlett
Goals 0.5
Tackles 6.1

Stanton

He certainly tackles more but he doesn’t kick more goals.

I would disagree on decision making skills, Stants is not worse than Benny on that imo.

Howlett is better by a mile at clearances but considering they play different roles that is not surprising. Stants is your classic outside wing player while Benny is more of an inside mid.

2 Likes

I think he would help us when we fall over in red time end of each quarter, as he was always running providing an option.

I would play him ahead or Myers, bird, howlett
Just get goddard to play more inside.

Still remember jobes brownlow year stanton was second after 8-9 rounds.

4 Likes