#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

A true red and black club man and a great bloke. Have many great memories. He wore the #5 with pride & passion. Thanks Stants!

3 Likes

I think you mean kicks goal. I’d go Stanton who kicks more goals and has good depth on his kicking and runs hard. That said I’d go Langford or Colyer over both.
As a player I think Stanton was very underrated and even this year deserved more chances. Hopefully he can get back to playing some golf.

Carried a weak midfield for several years; just about the most consistent and durable player I have ever seen play for us. All heart and all passion from start to finish; love ya Stants

9 Likes

Thanks for everything Stants, wore his heart on his sleeve and always have everything

Really upset by this. Feel he got screwed by the move to the backline and still has something to offer as a gut running midfielder.

I’d be surprised if he couldn’t find himself a place on a list somewhere so that he is retiring may suggest that he has mentally had enough.

It could also suggest that, you know, I’m wrong, and he is totally cooked.

Regardless, thanks for a wonderful career and all the tireless running. In my mind he’ll always be ‘unfairly maligned’ as opposed to ‘much maligned’.

And he wasn’t boo’d he was jeered by a bunch of idiots who should know better while he was playing with an undisclosed broken clavicle or some such.

:cry:

18 Likes

Hird handed the jumper to him, so I wonder if Stants gets to give the number 5 to whom he sees fit?

2 Likes

Give him one more game!

9 Likes

A gut running beast, who carried a very ordinary midfield for many years. Loved him, always worked his ■■■■ off and was wrongly criticised by many of our 'supporters. Thanks for all the hard work Humphrey.

6 Likes

Hope he hands it to fantasia, as he is our marquee young player along with zerrett and mcgrath who already have low numbers.
Then Long can get 13.

He is in form so a game isn’t out of the question, not sure we will want to tinker with lineup too much though.

Onya Stants. Great career.

#5 to Josh Kelly please

2 Likes

Stanton was so underrated by so many. Loved his work over a very dark period for the club. Was surprised he wasn’t able to play at the same level this year. So long Stance, love ya mate

2 Likes

Hope Conor gets 5, can’t think of who else

1 Like

Whenever he had a setshot, could’ve marked it down before he kicked it. Onya Stants.

1 Like

Orazio in number 5, oh my…

1 Like

Dug this up from an old thread, pretty much bang on still today. Was robbed of that 300th game.

Great bloke, great player, onya Stants!!! All the best in whatever you do mate.

3 Likes

Wonderful player. Id still be playing him ahead of a few in our current side.

An extremely worthy recipient of the 5.

Fantasia shouldn’t change. He already has a low enough number, and a historic number at that. TIPPA on the other hand…

1 Like

Makes me sad to hear this. Inevitable of course, and the right call, but sad nonetheless.

He never let the club down. Ever. Ran and worked in an era when too many couldnt/wouldnt. The drawn game against FC (where winder and demps did knees early ) showed Stants at his finest. I watched from Level 2 and his workrate in the 2nd half was astonishing that day.

Another favourite departs.

33 Likes

Plus 1

3 Likes

Kelly in 4.

2 Likes

Great clubman who always gave his all. I Wish him well