#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Tippa won’t be changing. It’s a historic number as well

3 Likes

Champion player. Champion bloke. Will be missed.

This. All the best for the future.

Brent Stanton, a champion soldier of the EFC.

4 Likes

Playing really well in the VFL. Still racking up possessions and GPS numbers that would be envied by many players.
If the AFL reduce the number of rotations we might want him back, but the time is right.

1 Like

fret no more lads,
he retired today.

Lang #4
Lav #5

Well played Brent, been a great #5.

Time to pass it on to either Zerret, Hooker or Walla.

As mentioned above, Walla will stay in #43. It matters as much to him as #4 or #5 do to others. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great career Brent, well done. Has been one of our better and most consistent players since the turn of the century.

Does Stants have a say in who gets the number 5?

Nowhere near as historic but yes i take your point.

Fair enough, so the other two can share it then.

How about no.

12 Likes

I watched Birdy blow up in the second half against GC on the weekend and, no offence to Craig, but I was wishing Stants had been out there instead. The value of someone who can get to contest after contest, “numbers to the ball” and all that, can’t be underestimated. And Stants in recent years worked on his tackling game to the point where it moved from being a weakness to a strength. His ball-getting ability was always elite as was (despite his critics) his disposal.

But the thing I love about Brent Stanton most of all is that while supporters didn’t always show him enough love he gave us 100% week in week out. He battled through tough times, including the saga, and remained a total professional and a wonderful servant of the club. I really hope we get a chance to cheer this bloke around on Sunday.

33 Likes

Ahead of his time. Imagine peak Stanton in this new age of GPS data worship.

4 Likes

Not sure sorry! There will be likely be a round of requests at seasons end.

1 Like

He will be crucial in our VFL finals campaign. Let’s send him off with a flag!

4 Likes

Probably not but if I had a say… (Which I do :P)
I say give no.5 to Parish…

2 Likes

For ten years, the easiest way to judge an Essendon supporter’s judgement and intelligence was to ask them what they thought of Brent Stanton.

32 Likes