#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Congratulations on a great career Stants. I think he was a bit stiff not to get a few more senior games this year. The continuous run that he provided during games was a hallmark of his career and he also kicked his fair share of magnificent long raking goals. Well done Stants.

3 Likes

Had some massive games:

3 Likes

Not sure how many 12 year olds would have bought a 2008 Essendon guernsey with number five on it but I was one. Onya Stants.

4 Likes

Went about it the best way anyone could expect, head down, no fuss yet copped more than his fair share. I’d imagine he was probably one of the better trainers at the club over his career.

Well done Stants. Never got the recognition you deserved. If he’d come along 10 years earlier would have been a star in 2 premiership teams

5 Likes

Was always a favourite of Dad’s who has since passed away and mine, was one of the few players left that still tied me with Dad and myself watching Essendon together.
I always bring up how he smokes/smoked cigs as well whilst being an elite AFL player, always made me feel better when I have one as well. How much truth is in this?

Thanks Brent given me plenty of enjoyment in a mostly dark time of Essendon always stood tall and a real solid foundation man of the club.

Hope to see you in the AFL coaching circuit!

6 Likes

My favorite Stanton memories have come this year at Windy Hill VFL games.

I have loved seeing his 2 little boys run up to him the end of games ( & sometimes 1/2 time as well ) for a big hug.

He seems content with life & that’s terrific.

26 Likes

Thanks for all your efforts Brent.
A great career.
Best of luck for the future.

A great and loyal servant of our club.

All the best to you Stants in the next chapter of your life.

All the best in retirement Stants. Hope to see you running around in the local leagues.

Love Stants. All the best.

FRANKLIN! 13… THIRTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

1 Like

Speaking of which, imagine you turn up for your first game of the 2018 season after 2x weeks of pre-season training and the coach says “Hey fingerz, you’re playing as a defensive mid on Stanton today”. You say to yourself “former Essendon gut-running machine Brent Stanton?” Then you realise that bloodyHell, I’m about to run 20kms, with 15x of them at full pace.

5 Likes

… then you suddenly do a hammy out of the blue in the warm up …

2 Likes

Thanks Stants, sad to see you go, always thought of you as one of our best.

Who are you going to pass the number 5 onto I wonder?

Has any other jumper had 3 consecutive 200+ game players wear it for the EFC or anywhere else?

I can’t see any of the current players taking it on at this stage.

1 Like

What a champion, my favourite Essendon player of the last decade.

Maybe you should ask for an increase in pocket money and buy 2017 jumper (with 5 on the back)

I thought D Zaharakis was your favourite player? You think you know someone then BANG! You don’t know them at all.

lets hope the next number 5 isn’t a let down.

That is a ridiculous thing to say, and honestly you should be ashamed to say that if you are an actual fan. Stanton has been a fantastic player for this club for many years, not every player is a super star. However, he gave everything he had each game and played his heart out. He was often tagged by opposition which tells you something about how he was rated externally. You also cannot compare him to a player (Hird) that was voted one of the best Essendon players of all time and say Stanton was a let down. Basically every player is in that category if you do.

Have some respect.

11 Likes