#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

Massive respect for Stants as a player and person. I had him in my best 22 at the start of the year. Was showing good form in the VFL in the past month. I thought/hoped he would get an AFL recall.

I feel very humbled that we were able to sponsor Stants in his final year in the red and black.

4 Likes

He’ll sure have big shoes to fill.

1 Like

I’m guessing not but any chance of him playing in the finals? I remember looking at some stats a few years back and pretty much if Stants was not playing we didn’t win many.
Thanks for your service Stants. Champion

Don’t think Zacky7 is saying Brent was a letdown, just what a massive legacy someone will receive with the number 5.
Just being a good ordinary player will be well below the generational standard.

1 Like

Hope the club hires him to just train with francis all summer

5 Likes

This. All of this.

4 Likes

“5 more laps Aaron, then we have a ciggie break.”

24 Likes

Really quite surprised and more than a little disappointed he didn’t get a run in the Seniors for a send off. It’s not like he’s been in poor form in the VFL, in fact, just the opposite.

Surely they could have found a way to bring him in.

3 Likes

A consummate professional in the way he prepared each preseason. He had a fair number of top 5 finishes in the B & F as well, which tells us plenty about his quality as a player, and his consistency of performance. It would have been good to see him get a send off, and he would have been no less deserving of a final game, based on form, than say Howlett. That is doesn’t get a farewell game, speaks a lot about the new and tougher regime being ushered in. .

Goodbye Stants, and thanks for all the memories. A very worthy # 5

7 Likes

If this is the case I apologise, it just did not sound like that at all and more a swipe at Stanton.

1 Like

I didn’t read it as a swipe at Stanton.

Was there early in the year tho, Tip dished off a couple of goals to him.

1 Like

Only 3 players to have worn the number 5 in the past 40 years.

1 Like

Only 3 players to have worn the number 5 in the past 40 years.

Kept my jumper number choices pretty straightforward from about grade 4.

3 Likes

Grade 4. The best 3 years of ________*life.

• Insert name.
1 Like

I will miss Stanton - much respect.

I will also miss the angst he causes to some parts of blitz.

2 Likes

I thought he’d go on for another couple of years and the year off would proling his career. Sadly i was wrong. The year out took it’s toll unfortunately. Our best midfielder bar watson during some very dark times. I’ll miss seeing running up and down the wing all day

6 Likes

I felt the same, … especially with Jobe.

I reckon he could go on physically,… but I think mentally, he’s had enough, and I deeply suspect the vegan thing didn’t help this year.

With Stants, …although I reckon he’s in almost as good a shape as ever, . I think the game has changed to his detriment.

I’ll miss him dearly. He’s been one of our best for the past decade. Always ran his guts out and then copped it from supporters who needed a scape goat. Hope he stays at the club in a coaching capacity. One of the more unsung heroes at the club.

6 Likes

A great servant of the club, so often underrated. Had he not played in an era where players with less stamina and sheer willpower are protected by the interchange system, his amazing endurance would have made him an elite player. Unfortunately the modern game, with its lean towards lower stamina speedsters, was never going to be his friend. Goodbye Stants. You were always one of my favourites.

2 Likes