#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

So was anyone else pretty annoyed at how little he was mentioned on the weekend? No pre-game video. No statements about him to the crowd. Only as much time as Kelly in the half-time video.

I know he wasn’t there himself as he played in Geelong (I assume), but still, for a guy who has been a great servant of the club I thought it was pretty poor.

2 Likes

I think the emergencies for Sundays’s game were strange. Langford deserved a spot before Hocking, and if we were going to play a one of the old blokes, Stanton has been killing it in the VFL. Nothing against Hocking, but was very lucky.

To be clear, I have no issue with Stanton not playing. But this was our final home and away match in either AFL or VFL, and I thought a bigger deal could have been made of the fact a 250 game player for the club had retired this week.

1 Like

Preseason training last year, I was right on the boundary watching the team doing running drills and I couldn’t stop watching him - he is such a machine. I just stood there and thought, ■■■■ I wish I could at least feel for a moment what it’s like to be able to run like that.

( And I don’t mean that’s all he could do.)

1 Like

There was pre-game video, at the game.

Was there? They showed the Jobe one like 2-3 times, but in the period I was in the ground they never showed a Stanton one.

Yup, there was.

Hmm, seems I was wrong then. Although it must have been early. I was there for like 40 minutes before hand and didn’t see it.

I can’t remember exactly what time it was - and didn’t pay much attention to the screens afterwards - but it would have been about 40 mins before bounce.

1 Like

For someone who copped a lot of flak - I remember Hird coming out and telling the anti Stants people to find another footy club to put ■■■■ on - he just kept on keeping on. Presenting, and presenting always, I got frustrated sometimes with his turnovers but his best was elite.
I also thought more could have been made of his departure, and Sydney final means he will not be there either to say goodbye to fans, and be sent off in a fitting tribute. However, he was always backstage guy, and maybe didn’t want tribute.
His role taken over by Zerret, must have known when he came back that games were gonna be rare, but fantastic that he did come back and provided support, and feeling of connection between the 12. No doubt helped vfl boys learn about fitness.
Thanks Brent for soldiering on in our dark years

11 Likes

congrats on your career and well done :). the retiring speech they had ont he website summed it up :).

2 Likes

Has been a great player for the club and will probably go down with Jobe as one of the better Essendon players to miss out on a grand final. Personally I can’t speak highly enough of Stants. I thought the 2015 season was great testament to Stants. He stood up and stood out as a senior player who managed to keep his standards high in what had to be an extremely exhausting and draining environment that year.

He had some great years where he was probably our most damaging midfielder. Also probably had the strange situation of at times being overly lauded and at times overly criticized. Never seemed to let it get to him and always seemed to maintain a level of excellence.

Well done and congratulations Stants on a fine career. All the best is the future!

18 Likes

I’m feeling nostalgic this morning.

It was the right call not to, and hindsight is a cheats view, but I kinda wish he got a farewell game. It seems wrong that he’s just faded from view, although its also probably fitting for a lad of his personality and nicknamed “Humphrey”.

5 Likes

Would have given us more than half the team last week - but I guess it’s not really that type of discussion.

I’m going to miss him too. Selfless player.

Any idea what he plans to do next year?
Has he ruled out playing VFL or a lower level or any interest in staying in the game in any capacity?

No he wouldn’t have. He is finished, but bows out as a great Essendon players and servant. Well done Stants on a great career where you have given all and extracted the best you had to offer.

2 Likes

I think he is just keen to focus on his golf business. I listened to a few interviews with him during the year. He was definitely one of the saga players for whom the time off made them realise that there is a lot more to life than just footy.

He was watching Ricky Dyson’s Bundoora a couple of weeks back.

Would be a nice pick-up for them, if he has any interest.

Close the thread with Stan’s post mods. Can’t get more Essendon than 1872.

2 Likes

Oh mate. I loved you as a player. But now… I don’t know what to say.

Good luck I guess with the Carlton Coaching gig.

Bugger that, Fark Carlton

2 Likes