#5 Devon Smith

following your lead Wim.

1 Like

I am a farking delight.

4 Likes

Compared to a lot of others that seem to be floating around these days you are the most positive poster on here.

2 Likes

Pcl and Acl recoveries are not the same rehab time.

1 Like

So, obviously the club knew he was going to require surgery and planned for that, right???

Correct. ~9 months for PCL.

Am i right in thinking he needs surgery to clean out and strengthen his knee though? He hasn’t actually “done a knee”. So maybe the recovery times will be different? (just piecing together stuff i’ve heard)

I don’t know the full details re his knee. Only that a “PCL deficiency” is reported by the club. Which means at a minimum the PCL needs reconstructing, so ~9 months if that is the only issue. But as I said earlier, playing without a PCL is highly risky in terms of doing additional damage within the knee. So it’s quite possible he has other knee issues as a consequence. Hence possibly a longer rehab period?

1 Like

Or less, no need to assume the worst until it is confirmed what is required, then we will get a better picture of what he faces.

Can he serve them concurrently?

4 Likes

Needs surgery. If they do both will be 6 months.

I say do it now and get it over and done with

6 Likes

yep gonna miss him but rather him get himself right and have a good preseason for next season. Chances are we won’t make finals this year anyway

I say drag it out for another two months as we try desperately to make it to the bottom end of the eight, then do it in the offseason so he’s a write off for most of 2020.

13 Likes

ESSENDON midfielder Devon Smith is set to miss the rest of the season after it was determined he needs knee surgery.

Last year’s best and fairest winner missed last week’s win over Fremantle after suffering a new injury to his knee.

He has carried a chronic knee posterior cruciate ligament injury in his knee from his time at Greater Western Sydney, and may have that operated on as well.

Coach John Worsfold said the Bombers were weighing up whether Smith should have both surgeries at the same time.

“The understanding we have is that he saw his surgeon last night and he will require surgery to fix his knee. He’s got an acute injury, which has just happened, and he’s also got his long-standing PCL injury that he’s had for a couple of years,” Worsfold said on Tuesday.

"We’re just waiting on clarity around if they’re going to fix both at the same time. That sounds like it’s the way it’s going to go, but we’ll release something that’s more clear this afternoon.

“If he has the PCL fixed as well, the old injury corrected, then that’s a six-month downtime.”

“We were aware he had a PCL injury. A lot of players have played out careers with PCL injuries in the past so you never know what comes.

In better injury news for the Bombers, they could regain key forward Shaun McKernan for this Saturday night’s Dreamtime at the 'G clash against Richmond.

McKernan has recovered from a serious hamstring injury he suffered in round three against Melbourne when he booted four goals, and could be brought straight back into the senior team.

Forward Mitch Brown (wrist) and Martin Gleeson (cheekbone) are also expected to be available

Man, his knee is completely fkd

Explains his poor form

2 Likes

fixed

Mark Williams ■■■■■■ or Adam Cooney ■■■■■■?

2 Likes

Good, just get him fixed and ready for 2020, this year is shot.

2 Likes

Give him every bit of surgery he needs and get him right for a full pre-season early next year. He still has 4-5 good seasons in him.

1 Like